    Is there any hack to obtain a higher speed that you know of ?
    Thank you in advance

    Mauro

    usy, May 6, 2006

  2. I've never tried this but here's a link to something posted a while back:

    http://tiny.pl/g1pb

    I've always thought there was no way to get a 133MHz cpu to run at full
    speed in a BX/GX chipset-based motherboard.

    William Asher, May 9, 2006

  3. usy

    usy Guest

    I found something on the web .
    In Chipset > Manufacture Setting , Mode 5 = FSB @ 133 Mhz .
    Supermicro claims all other values but 0 are only for testing purposes .
    I wanted to test this but the 1 Ghz cpus have very large , passive heatsinks
    without fans .Even at 700 Mhz the cpu temperature was 59°C after a small
    benchmark
    and I didn't want to fry them overclocking them without proper extra cooling
    ..
    Each heatsink was large enough to install a 60 mm fan !
    Today I rebooted and set Manufacture Mode to 5 .
    It POSTed fine and is working still at 43°C .
    Let's hope for best .
    Thanks for posting .
    (It seems that you and I are the only human beeings in this NG )

    Mauro

    usy, May 29, 2006
  4. Nice. I have 100MHz cpu's in all my P6DGX mb's but if I ever get hold of
    another one this is useful information.

    William Asher, May 30, 2006
  5. usy

    usy Guest

    Of course , this definetely need more testing to see if system is stable.
    I'll let you know .

    Mauro

    usy, May 30, 2006
  6. usy

    usy Guest

    Well , it just seems to work pretty well !

    usy, Jun 28, 2006
  7. usy

    Dr. Strangelove

    Joined:
    Aug 18, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    It's a small world

    I was looking into upgrading my dual Coppermine 550mhz CPU's to something faster and I happened upon this thread.

    Just wondering if the Mode5 setting is still working OK for your P6DGE. I have seen pairs of 1Ghz CPU's on eBay for as little as $25.00. I allready have 1GB of the 133mhz memory in the system so that should be OK.

    Also wondering if the I/O controller on the MB runs too hot to touch? It's one of the larger chips in the board.. says Intel on the top. If you can hold your finger on it, it's most likely OK.

    This has been a good machine for alot of years. I have been using it as a Fedora (Linux) file server and recently added Icecast streaming server to the GlobeCom Jukebox functions. With the 550's.. it's right on the fringe of 80-90% CPU usage encoding 3 - 320kbps OGG Vorbis audio streams.. So I'd like to try and EEK a little more performance out of it..

    Thanks,

    The Doctor:D

    Dr. Strangelove, Aug 18, 2006
  8. usy

    lindylex

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    I am trying to do the same thing. I have the same motherboard.
    - I upgraded the bios to ver 3.1
    - I changed this like Usy said "Chipset > Manufacture Setting , Mode 5 = FSB @ 133 Mhz " it brick the compuet and I had to fix it by doing the following.

    1. Placing the boot disk with my saved old bios file called "super.rom".
    2. On your keyboard press and hold "CTRL" and "Home" low-level BIOS flash hot keys.
    3. Turn on power with the hot keys depressed until your floppy drive is accessed. Your screen will remain blank until the BIOS program block is flashed.
    4. If your system either reboots or displays a message to reboot system then the procedure was successful.

    I want to purchase two of these cpu
    www . compuvest . us/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=60921
    will they work with my P6DGE motherboard?

    I had to butcher the url so I could post it. Just remove the spaces.

    Thanks

    Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
    lindylex, Feb 25, 2009