    The manual came with the P965 Neo-F board stated that "1 GB DDR2 800 SDRAM
    memory module is not supported", is it so? Or has any new BIOS fixed this
    problem?

    billy, Jan 13, 2007

  2. billy

    Paul Guest

    Tested modules are listed here. Make sure the motherboard model number
    MS-7235, matches your board. Check the last page of the document.

    http://www.msi.com.tw/html/products/mainboard/testreport_pdf/7235/memory.pdf

    If you look at PDF page 28 here
    ftp://download.intel.com/design/chipsets/datashts/31305302.pdf

    "(DDR2 800MHz 1 Gb technology is not supported)"

    What they are referring to there, is a 2GB DDR2-800 module
    consisting of (16) 128Mx8 chips. A 128Mx8 chip contains
    1 Gigabit of memory. Apparently, in Intel's usual wacky way,
    Intel is saying you cannot use a 2GB sized DIMM at the DDR2-800
    rate. You could use a 2GB DDR2-667 if you wanted. But there
    is some problem with the DDR2-800 level.

    Intel likes to stick these warnings in their datasheet, with no
    explanation. There have been other Intel chipsets, which contained
    warnings in the memory section, and those warnings have been
    dutifully carried into the BIOS design, and copy/pasted into the
    manuals. But in at least one case, the workaround is to set the
    conditions up manually, and the memory worked anyway.

    Since the Test Report lists some tested 1GB modules, I don't think you
    have to be exceptionally worried. With all motherboards right now,
    there tend to be issues with getting enough Vdimm to run the modules
    properly. JEDEC says a module needs 1.8V, the memory vendors spec
    1.9 or higher, to meet their stated timing specs, and the motherboard
    manufacturers don't boost the voltage by default. It means all
    boards run the risk of not being able to POST with "high performance"
    memory. Really, it is just "ordinary performance" memory, run at
    "high" voltage :)

    Paul

    Paul, Jan 13, 2007

  3. billy

    billy Guest

    Thank you Paul, you are very helpful.

    billy, Jan 16, 2007
  4. billy

    billy Guest

    Thank you, Paul. You are very helpful.
    btw, do you have any suggestions as to what I should pay attention to when
    setting up the system with this motherboard and tweaking the bios? Thank
    you again.

    billy, Jan 16, 2007
  5. billy

    Paul Guest

    I can only give you some general advice.

    When I get a new board, I immediately enter the BIOS. If a BIOS field
    has "Auto" on it, I switch it to "Manual" and see if any additional
    BIOS fields appear on the screen.

    Trouble spots for a new build are:

    1) Southbridge ports may be set to AHCI, RAID, or standard IDE.
    Before installing an OS, or moving an old OS over to the new
    motherboard, spend a little time understanding what mode you
    should be using. Standard IDE is pretty safe, and requires the
    least knowledge on the part of the user (which is why I would
    select it for my own build).

    2) If the motherboard POSTs with your new memory, then the voltage
    issue for Vdimm must have been OK. You can use a little more
    voltage, like Vdimm of 1.9V, if you are finding memory errors
    in memtest86+ (memtest.org).

    Otherwise, a forum like this, can contain a lot of important info
    about overclocking the latest and greatest stuff. There is a
    fair amount to know about P965 and Northbridge (invisible) strapping,
    in terms of overclocking. Some boards are limited in their
    overclocks, by the voltage used for the chipset, while in
    some cases, it is the settings you cannot see in the BIOS
    that mess things up. At stock speeds, this site would be
    irrelevant, and everything should work out of the box.

    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Jan 17, 2007