    I have a PA-2013 with ji4333 BIOS and I'm still not sure of the biggest
    hard drive it will take. Anybody know?

    Thanks!

    Roger Hunt, Feb 7, 2006

  2. 137 GB.

    Alex Zorrilla, Feb 8, 2006

  3. Roger Hunt

    Roger Hunt Guest

    That's good news. I feared it was 65.

    Cheers

    Roger Hunt, Feb 8, 2006
  4. I could not remember whether it was 65 GB or 137 GB, either, so I
    resorted to doing a Google search. I found some old archived posts from
    this newsgroup, back when this was actually a current topic, lol.

    --Alex

    Alex Zorrilla, Feb 8, 2006
  5. Roger Hunt

    Roger Hunt Guest

    Thanks, I must hone up my News-Googling skills. I believe the 503+ only
    went to 65G (with je4333) but that's out of date info as well.

    Roger Hunt, Feb 8, 2006
  6. Roger Hunt

    Mike Thorne Guest

    I have a 120G Seagate running in a 503+ (with JE4333) right now. Works
    fine.

    [As a side note, I actually got a 160G drive running in it at one point,
    but the BIOS didn't recognize it properly. It declared it to be a 137G
    drive, but the Linux OS queried the drive directly and properly declared
    it to be 160G. Unfortunately, it was *very* slow, possibly because of
    the BIOS conflict.]

    Mike Thorne, Feb 9, 2006
  7. Roger Hunt

    tcsenter Guest

    There should be no BIOS or hardware limitations between 40GB and the
    28-bit IDE/ATA limitation (~137GB), excepting some idiosyncratic
    incompatibility between a particular HDD make/model/firmware and the
    BIOS (which is what JE4333 addressed with Quantum drives).

    tcsenter, Feb 20, 2006
  8. There were actually a fair amount of Award BIOSes that had a limitation
    of 65 GB (actually 65535 MB) because of a divide overflow error in the
    BIOS code.

    Alex Zorrilla, Feb 22, 2006