PA-2013 question did they do a + version ?

Discussion in 'FIC' started by Den, Nov 6, 2003.

  1. Den

    Den Guest

    Den, Nov 6, 2003

  2. A PA-2013+? Not that I've heard of, though there others on this newsgroup who
    would know more about this question than I.

    --Alex

    Alex Zorrilla, Nov 7, 2003

  3. Den

    Robert Akins Guest

    Maybe they are mistaking the v2.0 board (?) as a 2013+?
    Robert

    Robert Akins, Nov 7, 2003
  4. Den

    Tim Guest

    There was no PA-2013 released with "+" indicated in the model name to
    my knowledge. This person might be mistakenly referring to PCB
    version 2.1 of the PA-2013, which was the last major revision released
    in some quantities just before the board was discontinued.

    If you can find it, version 2.1 is the one to have because it was the
    only version that [finally] solved both power supply limitations
    affecting AGP cards and K6-II/III processors higher than 450.

    Alternatively, the next best would be version 2.0 boards designated
    'EO036'. This is where it gets more than just a bit absurd. More
    information on the differing PCB and ECN revisions of the PA-2013 can
    be found at FIC's North American website:

    http://www.fica.com/site/html/services/faq_detail.asp?c_id=240000175

    Version 2.0 with 'EO036' designation only solves the power supply
    issue affecting faster K6-II/III processors, it does not solve the AGP
    issue. Only version 2.1 solves both issues.

    On a related note, Surplus Computers has a quantity of new K6-II+
    550MHz and K6-III+ 450MHz 'mobile' processors for sale:

    http://www.softwareandstuff.com/cpu.html

    The PA-2013 will run both with BETA BIOS JI4333 available from FIC.

    Regards,

    Tim

    Tim, Nov 8, 2003
  5. Den

    Gibby Guest

    Tim:
    So you're saying that AMD made a K6-III CPU that is higher that 450
    and that the PA-2013 Rev2.1 allows for the fastest K6-III on the
    market, whatever that is? Please advise. Thanks, Gibby

    Gibby, Nov 15, 2003
  6. Den

    Robert Akins Guest

    No, he said K6-II/III; he's probably referring to the K6-2 500.
    Robert

    Robert Akins, Nov 16, 2003
  7. Den

    Tim Guest

    Gibby,

    The non-EO036 boards were not approved for K6-III processors higher
    than (IIRC) 400 and K6-II processors higher than (IIRC) 450~500 due to
    unreliable operation. Only the EO036 revisions solved this,
    permitting the entire line of K6-II/III processors to be used. This
    still left the current regulation issue affecting (at the time) more
    powerful AGP cards, which was fixed only on version 2.1 of the
    PA-2013.

    The "desktop" K6-II line was limited to 550MHz while the K6-III was
    'officially' limited to 450MHz, though rare 500MHz versions are known
    to exist. Mobile and embedded versions of the K6-III were available
    up to 550MHz.

    Regards,

    Tim

    Tim, Nov 16, 2003