    think), and the graphics card is an S3 ViRGE. Can anybody please
    help???

    Mitch~~

    Mitch, Nov 22, 2006

  2. Mitch

    Ben Myers Guest

    If the memory is not the right type, the system would not boot. Memory must be
    installed in matched pairs in adjacent SIMM sockets. I ***THINK*** that EDO
    memory is OK. Fast page mode would work fine. The limit is 4x32MB or 128MB of
    memory. If you need some 72-pin SIMMs to max out the memory, let me know. You
    can have them for cheap.

    I'm not sure how the board would behave without a riser card.

    Check the jumpers to make sure that the processor speed (multiplier of 2.0, and
    bus speed of 60MHz) is jumpered correctly. These computers from long ago
    needed to be told everything to run right, but the processors will run just fime
    slower than rated speed. No such thing as today's clock-locked CPUs. Yes,
    the 120MHz Pentium is a non-MMX. Intel did not make any (many?) Pentium MMX
    CPUs slower than 166MHz.

    An inexpensive POST (Power On Self Test) PCI card would tell you a lot.

    You still might be able to find specs and a motherboard diagram on the web. A
    company in the UK has a lot of PB stuff on its product support web site.

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Nov 23, 2006

  3. Hi Ben !

    ( inserting comments as I go, as usual.......... )

    I *think* it will boot OK, I'm pretty sure I have done that in the past.

    Yeah, but what the heck, set that baby at 66MHz. First thing I always do.

    :)

    Yes,
    There was a 133MMX. I would like to find one for my collection.

    Hi Mitch !

    Usually, no beeps ( and nothing else ) means a bad CPU, or bad motherboard.
    If the memory or vid card is a problem, the thing will at least beep. Then
    you can look up the beep codes.

    I would try reseating the CPU, or another CPU. If that doesn't do it, the
    motherboard is probably bad.

    --
    boBWatts®©
    EartH

    Robert E. Watts, Nov 26, 2006
  4. Mitch

    Mitch Guest

    I have one question:

    Would using a different power supply than the factory one be the
    problem. I have been using a power supply from an old Gateway from '90
    or '93 (don't know specific year). Does the m-board need a specific
    voltage???????

    Mitch, Jan 6, 2007
  5. Mitch

    Ben Myers Guest

    Mitch,

    A 1990-1993 vintage motherboard uses an older AT-style pair of power connectors.
    They supply standard voltages to baby AT and AT motherboards. AT power
    supplies have different wattage ratings, but the voltage remains the same.

    Same with the more modern ATX, ATX12V, and BTX standard power supplies. Dell
    Pentium 2 and Pentium 3 power supplies and motherboards are a NASTY exception,
    because they use the same physical ATX connector, but with different voltages on
    different pins... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jan 6, 2007
  6. Mitch

    Mitch Guest

    So, from what your telling me, the power supply I am using is not an
    issue?

    Mitch, Jan 8, 2007
  7. Mitch

    Ben Myers Guest

    Right. A Gateway AT-style power supply is A-OK in a Packard Bell with AT
    connectors on its motherboard, because both companies followed industry
    standards. Sensible. That's what standards are for... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jan 9, 2007
  8. Mitch

    Mitch Guest

    Can you tell me how I know if the power supply is AT and if the
    motherboard has AT connectors???

    Mitch, Jan 11, 2007
  9. Mitch

    Ben Myers Guest

    An AT power supply has two connectors with 6 female openings each, arranged in a
    single row. The motherboard has a matching single row of 12 pins. You connect
    the pair of power supply connectors side by side, with the black wire leads on
    one connector adjacent to the black ones on the other. Some AT power supplies
    have a 3rd auxiliary connector to supply 3.3v. It looks very much like the
    other two.

    An ATX power supply has a single 20-pin connector, two rows of 10 pins.

    An ATX-12v power supply has the 20-pin connector plus an additional 4-pin
    connector for the 12v needed by most Pentium 4 and later AMD motherboards.

    The latest BTX power supply has a single 24-pin connector.

    All these connectors are keyed to the pins to which they connect. In other
    words, you can only attach these connectors one way. But it IS possible to
    force AT connectors onto the wrong 6 pins and fry the motherboard... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jan 11, 2007