    my laptop hdd has several bad sectors and need replacing, where/how do i
    access the hdd?

    cheers

    tim, Nov 15, 2003

  2. tim

    Elector Guest

    If it is like any other brand of lap top the access is in the bottom
    of the unit. There is usually a diagram that say's HD Access, or HD
    Door etc. There is a few screws that open the bay door and the hard
    drive is removable from there.

    Or you can look at the documentation that came with the lap top. My
    information was on a CD and at the web site.

    I hope that helped?

    Elector

    Elector, Nov 16, 2003

  3. tim

    tim Guest

    Nah,I looked at the bottom of the laptop and find nothing.The only panel
    that opens at the bottom is for the memory.I think the HDD is somewhere
    under the keyboard,but I am not so sure which screws need to be removed in
    order to access the HDD.I've misplaced the user manuals therefore not able
    to see if they do tell users where the HDD is located and how to access to
    upgrade HDD.

    tim, Nov 16, 2003
  4. tim

    Elector Guest

    ::Nah,I looked at the bottom of the laptop and find nothing.The only panel
    ::that opens at the bottom is for the memory.I think the HDD is somewhere
    ::under the keyboard,but I am not so sure which screws need to be removed in
    ::eek:rder to access the HDD.I've misplaced the user manuals therefore not able
    ::to see if they do tell users where the HDD is located and how to access to
    ::upgrade HDD.
    ::

    Tim:

    You may want to try and get an answer here. Its a PB Users Forum in the UK. It had 1 post for your
    brand of laptop and it had to do with a motherboard issue. But I did look at another post and the
    guy said the access door was a 2x3 on the bottom. As I said before my HP has the access to both the
    memory and the HDD on the bottom and they are clearly marked. Oh look, would that not have been
    what Packard Bell should have done? No that would be hoping for too much.
    http://uktsupport.ipbhost.com/

    Elector

    Elector, Nov 16, 2003
  5. tim

    Elector Guest

    ::Nah,I looked at the bottom of the laptop and find nothing.The only panel
    ::that opens at the bottom is for the memory.I think the HDD is somewhere
    ::under the keyboard,but I am not so sure which screws need to be removed in
    ::eek:rder to access the HDD.I've misplaced the user manuals therefore not able
    ::to see if they do tell users where the HDD is located and how to access to
    ::upgrade HDD.
    ::

    Tim, one of these solutions will fit your model of easynote. Let me know which one it was when you
    finally do the job.

    Follow-up to my earlier post.

    [Reposted from http://www.pbinfopop.net]

    the hard disk is right underneath the floppy drive. Therefore, look on underside of the laptop
    there should be a panel on the underside in exactly the same place as the floppy. On this panel
    there is one screw, unscrew it and the floppy drive should slide out, after the floppy has been
    removed the hard disk should then also slide out!

    [or if you have the Easy Note VX]

    Just to the left side of the notebook near the front you will notice a small flap that folds down.
    Seems pointless? not so, cos if you unscrew the only screw behind it and gently pull it then that
    hard drive will come out in your hand

    on the other hand this from the same forum:

    Advice given by Richard for the Easyone Silver, which is probably the same for Easyone DC;

    " The hard drive is on a removable unit with the floppy drive. If you look underneath the laptop
    there is a single screw easily visible on the base at the back of the floppy drive. Removal of this
    will allow the floppy drive assemble to be slid out to the side, and the hard drive is mounted on
    that.

    You can see the position here;

    http://support.packardbell-europe.com/support/pri/item/item_spec_IOports_J3.asp

    [or]

    Not the same for the Easyone DC though...

    For the DC you need to remove the three screws along the underneath of the laptops front edge - the
    palmrest in front of the keyboard will then unclip (carefully!) and come off. You will have to
    disconnect the touchpad cable before moving the palmrest away from the laptop.
    You will then see the hard drive on the left held in by two screws.
    Good luck

    I hope that helped?

    Elector

    Elector, Nov 16, 2003
  6. tim

    tim Guest

    Thks for the help.I have now managed to locate the hdd and have now replaced
    the faulty drive.

    To access the hdd, I have to remove the 2 screws at the base and slowly with
    slight force wedge up the panel below the keyboard. Once that lifts up, the
    hdd sits on the right hand side above the fdd.

    tim, Nov 16, 2003
  7. tim

    Elector Guest

    I am glad you got it working.