Packard Bell Legend 105CD - Restore CD Format Number?

Discussion in 'Packard Bell' started by SonicClub, May 29, 2004.

  1. SonicClub

    SonicClub Guest

    I went to use system restore and I get this message:

    A valid format number was not found.
    Please ensure that the PACKARD BELL MASTER CD is
    installed in the CD-ROM drive then enter the format
    number found on the System Credentials shipped with
    your system. If you can not locate the System
    Credentials for your system, please contact PACKARD
    BELL software support at 1-801-579-0161.
    Format #:

    Press the 'Enter' key to exit

    The phone number? Lets just say I called it and it is no longer valid, it
    said it's been disconnected or is no longer in service. I find out
    recently that Packard Bell left the US years ago, I don't need to get into
    WHY exactly they left since I am sure most of you are aware of it. I will
    get to the point, it seems that Packard Bell has left the US, so I can
    forget about getting help by phone or any other way. As for the "System
    Credentials" thing that is mentioned? I don't know where that is right
    now. I got the restore CD and floppy, they work just fine, I just need a
    format number. Here's the CD info: PBMMCD10_R1, 170210 Rev. 1. Like I
    stated in the subject I got a Packard Bell Legend 105CD PC, it was bought
    new in about 1994 or so, Don't go on about it being old, I don't care, I
    have way better computers, it would just be fun to mess around with the
    old one, you know? Also, I WANT to restore the PC with the factory
    settings, programs and all. I want to be able to use all the old programs
    like Packard Bell Navigator, etc. Can someone provide me with a format
    number that will work? or tell me how to override the screen that asks for
    a format number so I can just simply restore the PC? Or perhaps tell me
    where I might find the format number if anywhere on the PC? Another
    question too, what does the format number determine exactly? Like what if
    I wanted to use the restore CD on another PC which was faster and
    everything? Is that possible?

    By the way, up at the top in that message I copied, where it says "Format
    #:" That's where it wants me to manually enter it.

    SonicClub, May 29, 2004

  2. SonicClub

    Rock On Guest

    Hi,

    I just restored a Legend 415CD for the very reasons you mentioned. I got a
    lot of help from this newsgroup. In case it helps, I'll post the what I did
    and the problems and how I got around them.

    1. Do a clean install of Windows 98SE -- or Windows 95 if you are a purist.

    2. Copy the BU directory from the Master Restore CD to your hard disk.

    3. Copy arj.exe and unarj.bat from the DOSMENU directory. Edit unarj.bat
    to suit your needs, then run it.

    4. Use the INSTALL directory on the CD to install as many programs as you
    can. Do not install the ODBC drivers, it f**ks up Navigator.

    5. Copy whatever was not installed from the "unarj" directory to the "real"
    directories. For instance, when you unarj the ComCentral package, it
    creates a CCentral subdircetory and a Windows\System subdirectory. Copy the
    files in C:\Unarj\CCentral\Windws\System to your actual Windows system
    directory.

    6. Restore Navigator from its separate CD. (Or, in my case, Navigator came
    on a separate CD.)

    My Restore Disk was for a Platinum 55. As I said, I restored a Legend
    415CD. Tweaks were necessary. For instance, some packages install specific
    drivers that did not match the hardware. The solution was to delete the
    device from Device Manager and reboot. Windows 98 had just about every
    driver I needed. Those that did not come from Win98 I found on Elector's
    Yahoo Group site.

    When I first turned on the computer, it would not load drivers for the old
    PB CD Rom. I pulled it temporarily and replaced it with a newer CD that
    would act as a boot device.

    *************

    What is funny is that when I first got the Platinum, I couldn't stand all
    the "add-on" software including Navigator. Now, I went through all this
    work just to have a peak at it. The software is pretty cool for someone new
    to computers and I was sorry to see PB pull out of the US market.

    Hope this helps,

    Rock On

    Rock On, May 29, 2004

  3. SonicClub

    SonicClub Guest

    Well, thanks for trying to help, it seemed so promising. The restore CD I
    was asking about has the BU folder, but not the DOSMENU folder. The
    restore floppy that goes with the CD has Arj.exe, but not Unarj.bat, I
    have a restore disc that went to my second Packard Bell PC that was made
    in 1998, but even that CD didn't fully match this tutorial you posted. My
    newer Packard Bell's restore CD has the DOSMENU folder, but also no BU
    folder and no Arj.exe, or Unarj.bat. I'll still try to use your advice to
    try to help me use the restore CD's unless you got some other information.
    By the way, the restore CD I was asking about had Windows 3.11, so I am
    guessing my restore disc must be a little older than yours so maybe a few
    other things need to be done, maybe a different way of using the restore
    disc, I don't know, got any ideas? Anyway, I appreciate your reply, that
    info may end up helping with something, I may just have to figure out what
    needs to be done differently, i'm sure using this restore CD couldn't be
    too much different than yours, they seem like they're pretty close to the
    same time. If you or anyone else has any more help, feel free to post.
    Thanks.

    SonicClub, May 29, 2004
  4. SonicClub

    Rock On Guest

    Hi,

    The unarj.bat is simple:
    ******start******
    c:\
    md bu
    y:\ REM Where Y: is the CD's drive
    cd\dosmenu
    arj x -y -r -i1 y:\bu\d\d.arj c:\
    arj x -y -r -i1 y:\bu\e\e.arj c:\
    arj x -y -r -i1 y:\bu\f\f.arj c:\
    arj x -y -r -i1 y:\bu\h\h.arj c:\
    arj x -y -r -i1 y:\bu\i\i.arj c:\
    arj x -y -r -i1 y:\bu\j\j.arj c:\
    arj x -y -r -i1 y:\bu\k\k.arj c:\
    arj x -y -r -i1 y:\bu\l\l.arj c:\
    arj x -y -r -i1 y:\bu\m\m.arj c:\
    arj x -y -r -i1 y:\bu\n\n.arj c:\
    arj x -y -r -i1 y:\bu\o\o.arj c:\
    arj x -y -r -i1 y:\bu\p\p.arj c:\
    arj x -y -r -i1 y:\bu\q\q.arj c:\
    arj x -y -r -i1 y:\bu\r\r.arj c:\
    ********end*******

    But, you are right. My restore disk was for Win95. If yours is for
    win3.11, they may be different.

    Rock

    Rock On, May 29, 2004
  5. SonicClub

    Elector Guest

    I have been searching the net for this for you but I am at a dead end,
    unless I can find my old systems credentials from my old PB Platinum
    Supreme the format number was something like 55555.scr or cre or cse
    something along those lines. I cannot remember the last identifier
    sorry. Maybe Ben or Metronid can supply that end part after the dot
    (.)

    I was under the impression that the numbers themselves don't actually
    have to match but the last part does.

    I will keep looking and report back if I am successful.

    Elector

    SonicClub, May 30, 2004
  7. SonicClub

    SonicClub Guest

    Dang...How did that post get put up AGAIN? Sorry, Must've hit refresh, I am
    using a site to view this newsgroup and post through here at the moment,
    and I suppose hitting refresh after posting re-posted the message. Anyway,
    I have searched for how to get the format number for a while now, and the
    most I have found is a page on a Packard Bell support site saying it is
    like in this one file in the Windows directory, obviously I have looked
    for the file and it wasn't there because I freshly installed windows after
    the original installation. Here's a link to that page that claims to have
    the format number within the file or something:
    http://support.packardbell-europe.com//support/faq/article/ART01509.asp

    It would help a lot if I knew exactly what format numbers of that timeline
    determined too, I know there are different styles of numbers being setup,
    the number could be just one that was assigned to the specific PC, restore
    discs, etc. or maybe a certain PC series, or maybe it's a number which
    matches something about the hardware to let the computer know that you're
    using the restore CD on the right PC, whatever it is, it seems confusing.
    There must be some way to hack past that format number message, probably
    complicated though. Would it help if I ripped the restore floppy and
    posted it online for you to download and try it? I can rip the CD too, but
    i'm not sure if you'd want to download a file which is a few hundred megs
    or something, heh, let me know though, some of you probably wouldn't mind.
    It's like close to 360mb for the restore CD. I tried to get help for this
    issue at a official Packard Bell forum, and someone there claims that it's
    like a 5 digit number on the back of the machine. I am unable to check
    that though since the PC isn't currently with me where I am right now, the
    person wasn't positive though since it was an older computer than ones
    they have had experience with. Hope this info I have provided helps a bit
    more. I have heard some places that the format number is 8 or 9 digits, or
    even 5 and 6, I am confused though, maybe all of those answers are correct
    depending on the PC, huh?

    SonicClub, May 30, 2004
  8. SonicClub

    Rock On Guest

    Hi Sonic,

    What files are listed in the BU\A directory of the Restore CD?

    Rock

    Rock On, May 30, 2004
  9. SonicClub

    SonicClub Guest

    The BU\A directory on the CD has 45 .scr files, all about 120kb - 130kb,
    one of them is more like 110kb. Anyway, they're numbered one after
    another, the number the first file has is 555476.SCR, then the next one is
    555477.SCR, then 555478.SCR, as you guessed it, just look at the first
    file name 555476.SCR, then add 1 number to that number to get the next
    number, they're all numbered one after the other, the last file is
    555520.SCR, it evenly counts all the way up to that file name number, the
    same concept of counting, like 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, and so
    on.. see? The BU directory itself has the folders A, D, E, F, H, I, J, K,
    L, M, and N, each folder after A appears to have particles or pieces of
    some of the software that came with my computer. I notice there is no B,
    C, or G folder, oh well, I suppose that's how they designed the restore
    CD. You know...about those numbered .scr files I was naming a while ago,
    could any of those possibly be format numbers? in the M folder, there are
    some numbers on folders witch match the .scr file numbers, the folders
    within the numbered folders have more pieces of programs and stuff though,
    but still. The folders in the M folder labeled with simular numbers are
    555476, and it does that counting thing again, all the way up to 555483,
    so not as many folders as .scr files. I remember reading on this one site
    that was giving packard bell help, they said to enter 555477 if it asks
    for a format number or something...I tried and tried and it didn't work,
    but then one time I don't know what happened, it just started installing
    or something, this was a little while back, a month or so ago possibly,
    when it supposedly restored I don't think it did it right because some
    things seemed messed up or uncompleted, I must've done something wrong,
    keep in mind that the files with the numbers are 6 digits, is that how
    long format numbers for these computers are? I will try a few and let you
    know the result..

    SonicClub, May 30, 2004
  10. SonicClub

    SonicClub Guest

    Well...this is very interesting. My theory was correct, the folders names
    are also format numbers, you see, this one I found on a site worked one
    time, but next time I tried, it didn't, let me explain what was going
    wrong. In order for the format number to work, the restore CD and floppy
    both must be present in the drives, but in order for THAT to work, CD-ROM
    drivers must be installed, so that the CD drive can be accessed. If the
    restore floppy detects the CD then I guess it then has a database of the
    format numbers or something, but before I guess what was going wrong is
    somehow the CD drive wasn't being detected, so then anything I entered
    would be invalid. There you have it, I just solved my own problem, stupid
    me, huh? lol. Sorry for putting you guys through the trouble, but I am
    sure I would never have figured it out of my own if it wasn't for your
    guys's suggestions. And "Rock On", when you told me to check out that
    folder, that then got me to explore the other folders and see that a
    format number I had tried at one time worked, then didn't work, but then I
    saw that the files and folders of some items were named after a format
    number..very interesting. Good news is it can be installed on another PC
    if I need to, I just have to do some configuration editing so then I can
    get into windows and install a different sound and video driver, hah. I
    will keep experimenting with the restore CD's and let you know if this
    issue has fully been resolved, it appears to have been resolved so far,
    but you never know when something could go wrong and I would need help
    again, Anyway, thanks guys, and if you have any questions or anything to
    say, go ahead and post. I may be posting again too if I have any problems
    or questions. At this moment I am using a problem called Virtual PC to
    experiment with the restore CD, it allows you to virtally run an operating
    system within a window in the main operating system, so I could be running
    my standard XP operating system with the original DOS, Windows 3.11,
    Windows 95, Windows 98, and so on. It needs a powerful PC to work very
    good though I think, luckily I got that. My original PC is currently not
    in this location though so I am un-aware of when I will get to test it on
    the real thing.

    SonicClub, May 30, 2004
  11. SonicClub

    Elector Guest

    ::The BU\A directory on the CD has 45 .scr files, all about 120kb - 130kb,
    ::eek:ne of them is more like 110kb. Anyway, they're numbered one after
    ::another, the number the first file has is 555476.SCR, then the next one is
    ::555477.SCR, then 555478.SCR, as you guessed it, just look at the first
    ::file name 555476.SCR, then add 1 number to that number to get the next
    ::number, they're all numbered one after the other, the last file is
    ::555520.SCR, it evenly counts all the way up to that file name number, the
    ::same concept of counting, like 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, and so
    ::eek:n.. see? The BU directory itself has the folders A, D, E, F, H, I, J, K,
[...]
    ::eek:r something, this was a little while back, a month or so ago possibly,
    ::when it supposedly restored I don't think it did it right because some
    ::things seemed messed up or uncompleted, I must've done something wrong,
    ::keep in mind that the files with the numbers are 6 digits, is that how
    ::long format numbers for these computers are? I will try a few and let you
    ::know the result..

    It would very well seem that the xxxxx.scr is the format number process as I posted a few days ago.
    It was nice to see I have not totally lost my mind.

    In a post here many years ago there was a fellow as I also stated before, that said to simply make
    up any number to get past that format command line and let the system restore its self. There is a
    program/command I noticed at the PB site that can extract the format number from the system after
    it is up and running for folks who did not have the system credentials sheet.

    http://support.packardbell.com/it/mypc/index.php?PibItemNr=topic_00632&Ctype=dl

    There is also a program that can be run that also will give this information. But alas only after
    the system is up and running. Maybe a person here that has a simular system can run the command and
    tell you what the format number is.

    Elector

    Elector, May 31, 2004
  12. information. But alas only after

    Pardon me if I am wrong, but isn't the format number printed on the label on
    the HDD? That is where it was on my old Legend 4670.
    It was running a Maxtor 1.2 GB HDD.
    If you are using the original HDD, and the case is open, look at that label.

    Dennis Schmitz, May 31, 2004
  13. SonicClub

    Elector Guest

    You may be correct, however the original HD that came with my Packard
    Bell Door Stop was very small in size and I just junked it shortly
    after purchase.

    Nice to see you post here again..!

    Elector

    Elector, Jun 1, 2004
  14. Thanks Elector !

    Been lurking for some time now. I don't feel that I know enough to
    contribute very often, but this time it felt like I could help.

    Dennis Schmitz, Jun 1, 2004
  15. SonicClub

    Elector Guest

    Which is what I already told them to do. I know that a made up number will
    work but I was not sure of the last identifier .src scr etc.
    Elector'

    Elector, Jun 1, 2004
  16. SonicClub

    Elector Guest

    I love seeing the old time posters back here again. I don't get here that
    much myself. Metronid and Ben have been doing a load of the help. Nice to
    see some of the others are helping out again.

    Elector

    Elector, Jun 1, 2004
  17. SonicClub

    metronid Guest

    Use generic for ther format #

    metronid, Jun 1, 2004
  18. SonicClub

    babiche Guest

    Hi,

    Just to say I also bought a packard bell pc. i xtreme ixtreme 7050.

    What a mistake, I got it in a wrong language. No distribution CD. No
    master. Now to change it, I call the packard bell support at least 10
    times (0900) here in belgium, just to hear that all lines are busy.
    I've got via a // way the master cd's but apparently I to change the
    tattoo ????

    FOR ALL THE OTHERS: NEVER, NEVER BUY A PACKARD BELL, any other PC but
    not a PACKARD BELL

    babiche, Jun 1, 2004
  19. SonicClub

    metronid Guest

    I had a problem reading all the posts
    The answer where to find the #'s was
    also good
    I believe it only aks those numbers
    if it is to be formatted then restored
    I could be wrong
    I have that Master CD in my collection
    In fact I had a PB that used that CD 170210
    It can always be formatted with the restore
    floppy only
    In fact that version can be restored manually
    by first installing dos then Windows (311)

    All the other garbage can be accessed from the folders

    I kind of liked Winows 311 for various reasons
    It allowed me to use my brain when doing things
    It was just DOS 6.x there abouts with a nice GUI

    My daughter loved it and learned quite a bit
    Now she uses winXP
    She no longer needs her brain to do chat

    metronid, Jun 2, 2004
  20. SonicClub

    metronid Guest

    I am not praising Packar bell
    My original 486 still works
    It did work but I have been selling parts on Ebay

    They did excatly what they were supposed to do for the price.

    There of course were the problem sides
    That was more with customer service and that did (SUCK)

    Dell for example does not sll the best computer
    They are priced right
    They do offer good phone service

    I hope PB Europe has learned from their mistakes
    and are looking at their competition

    I ramble
    As far as restore CD,s go
    They are nice for the fact that they have all the needed drivers
    I am not crazy about any software bundles and their associated
    restore CD
    They do this to get a better price from MR BILL I think
    I could be wrong

    Just go out and get a real copy of Windows and forget about the restore
    CD's
    As far as phone sevice be persistent

    metronid, Jun 2, 2004