    any way to reset the CMOS so that I can get it to boot?

    Thanks,

    Tim Griffin

    WarlordTim, Jun 28, 2006

  2. WarlordTim

    Ben Myers Guest

    A CMOS read/write failure is catastrophic. It says that the CMOS on the
    motherboard is worn out, so the motherboard is history. Do your granny a favor
    and do something with a newer computer than an ancient 486. Craigslist around
    here (Boston) has plenty of newer computers being given away, or sold for really
    cheap. A Pentium III computer is fairly modern, and even a Pentium II has a lot
    more life in it than a 486... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jun 28, 2006

  3. WarlordTim

    WarlordTim Guest

    I was afraid of that....

    She's got a brand-spankin' new Compaq system, but this is the one she's
    got all the family history and church stuff on. Guess it's time for me
    to start transferring files...

    Thanks for your help!

    Tim

    WarlordTim, Jun 28, 2006
  4. WarlordTim

    Ben Myers Guest

    The easiest way to transfer files is to get an inexpensive USB-IDE kit. Remove
    the drive from the PB420, attach it to the USB-IDE cable, apply power (usually a
    separate power connector or power supply), then plug in to a USB port. The
    drive will show up in the Compaq system with another drive letter, and off you
    go... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jun 28, 2006
  5. WarlordTim

    Ben Myers Guest

    I was in Circuit City yesterday, and I saw complete external drive kits,
    including external case, for around $40. You would install the drive inside.

    You can probably find similar kits for less elesewhere, like eBay... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jun 28, 2006
  6. WarlordTim

    WarlordTim Guest

    I've already got an external 5.25"/3.5" USB kit that I bought off of
    Newegg several months ago, but the HD was old enough I had to drop it
    in my box and manually transfer the files. I'm now trying to get a
    5.25" floppy drive to work so I can try and recover all that stuff
    also.

    Thanks for your extended help!

    Tim

    WarlordTim, Jun 28, 2006