    movie done in PAL to the North American format ? Is there any software
    to do it?
    Any ideas please? Thanks.

    Malam, Jul 18, 2004

  2. Malam

    Ben Pope Guest

    On what media is this movie?

    If it's PAL, I take it it's something like video cassette? You could always
    capture it to AVI and then play it back as NTSC (Never The Same Colour), but
    not using one AIW card as it will be either PAL OR NTSC. So it depends on
    whether your AIW is PAL or NTSC as to what other hardware you will likely
    require. Of course, you may be able to make use of S-Video, but again that
    depends on what other hardware you have. The answer is no, you can't do it
    with just your AIW.

    There are effectively three systems, NTSC (Never The Same Colour) in
    America, SECAM (System Essentially Contrary to the American Method) in
    various parts of the world and PAL (Perfect At Last) on my side of the pond
    (UK) :p

    If you tell us the media your PAL video is on, how you intend on getting it
    into your AIW, the system your AIW works on, and what output device you
    intend to connect your AIW to, one of us may be able to come up with a
    solution. It would also be useful to know what connectors (S-Video,
    Composite, SCART etc) your input (video recorder, camcorder etc) and output
    (video recorder, TV etc) devices have.

    An example:
    I have a PAL Video recorder with an S-Video connector I wish to connect to
    my PAL AIW card. I would like to get the PAL signal onto an NTSC tape using
    an NTSC video recorder which has an input SCART socket, and RCA socket.

    It would also be useful to know if you want sound, too - that should be far
    less problematic than the video though.

    Or you could just buy one of these:
    http://www.scancom.plus.com/en-gb/dept_3.html

    But the quality probably isn't that great.

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Jul 18, 2004

  3. Malam

    - Guest

    Try www.vcdhelp.com, they have guides for all sorts of convertions.

    PAL is 25 frames/s and NTSC is something else (23.99 or 29.??) so you'll
    need to separate audio and picture, convert framrate and then combine the
    audio with the new video framrate...sort of anyway

    I've done the opposite a few times with fearly good result (NTSC DV
    Camcorder mpegs to PAL mpegs)

    / J

    -, Jul 19, 2004
  4. Malam

    Malam Guest

    Thanks guys, your help is appreciated.

    Malam, Jul 26, 2004
  5. Malam

    patrickp Guest

    As a matter of interest, VIVO cards are generally capable of inputting
    and outputting all video standards, as opposed to AIWs, which are
    generally either NTSC input only or PAL/SECAM input only.

    patrickp

    - take five to email me

    patrickp, Jul 26, 2004
  6. Malam

    Ben Pope Guest

    I picked that up from this thread I think. Very interesting.

    Especially since the VIVO will do what most people think they need an AIW
    for, and it'll do it better. As long as you don't want a tuner.

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Jul 26, 2004
  7. Malam

    patrickp Guest

    Absolutely, Ben. I use mine with a cable box which only offers a
    fixed output channel, so the tuner would be superfluous. VIVOs are
    cheaper, too.

    The downside is that Ati have never offered the VIVO option on the
    majority of their lines; I think the gap ATM is from the 9000 or 9200
    range up to the X800 XT.

    OEMs offer a much bigger choice, of course, but rarely seem to have a
    Rage Theatre chip that will run MMC properly, particularly, of course,
    the one you want - the TV/Video In app.

    ATM I'm using a Sapphire 9600 Pro VIVO - excellent in every other way,
    but it wasn't until I lost the ability to run MMC's Video In that I
    realised what an excellent product it _actually_ is. Other TV apps
    offer clunky interfaces, poor operability (and lack of facility to
    work with a video-only card), but, worst of all, rubbish picture
    quality. I suspect I may be seeing this as a European user - they
    probably haven't optimised their products for PAL and SECAM as they
    probably have for NTSC - but it would seem that Ati have.

    I'm still running an old Built by Radeon 7200 VIVO in my other PC
    under 98SE, and its video display with MMC beats the pants off the
    9600 Pro in W2K using any other app - and I'm 100% sure this is down
    to the apps, not to cards, machines or OSs.

    patrickp

    - take five to email me

    patrickp, Jul 26, 2004