Palm V rechargeable batter details

Discussion in 'Embedded' started by Jim, Apr 18, 2004.

  1. Jim

    Jim Guest

    Hi,

    I want to port my home-brew OS to a palm. I narrowed my choices to
    the III and the V. Because of the better screen and a couple of
    other details, I've decided on the Palm V. However, I noticed it has
    internal rechargeable batteries. So, I assume I need to do a few
    things to make sure they charge when the unit is in the cradle. I
    looked through the ucLinux source and there's not enough info about
    it. It's probably controlled by an fpga and I really don't want to
    count on being able to reverse engineer this. Or maybe the cradle
    handles everything via some dedicated pins to the batteries (would be
    nice), but I can't believe the OS doesn't intervene/assist in one way
    or another.

    Anyone have the details? I'd greatly appreciate it.

    Thanks,

    Jim

    Jim, Apr 18, 2004

  2. Jim

    Jim Guest

    It's interesting no one knows how the batteries get charged. I guess
    that means the linux port to the palm V platform is a real kludge,
    huh? Palm III it is...

    Jim

    Jim, Apr 24, 2004

  3. Jim

    Lenroc Guest

    Why would you assume that the charging depends on software?

    I would think that the cradle is wired in such a way that certain 'pins'
    carry the power, and automatically start charging the battery when in
    the unit is in the cradle.

    I realize this makes certain assumptions about the internal wiring of the
    Palm unit as well, but it seems so much simpler to have the charging
    process be hardware instead of software. (Or doesn't KISS apply to
    hardware design?? :p)

    Lenroc, Apr 25, 2004
  4. Jim

    Jim Guest

    Lenroc,

    KISS doesn't really apply to products like this for hardware. Keep it
    CHEAP does. Having a separate chip(s) to monitor battery life, charge
    rates, etc. adds cost, takes up board real estate and adds to the
    power consumption. All that translates into extra $$ and when you
    sell in the quantities this product does, even a dime makes a
    difference.

    Jim

    Jim, May 8, 2004