    Will Win7 run tablet apps on this? I'm running 'regular' XP-Pro right
    now...

    Any suggestions?

    WildLatin, Aug 18, 2009

  2. WildLatin

    Sven Guest

    Make sure you have the restore CD(s), find a friend with a Vista Upgrade
    copy, or a Win7 RC copy and try it. If it doesn't work restore. If it does,
    buy a copy of what does. XP Tablet was a pretty picky OS and as such was
    not released to consumers. It was only for OEMs that made Tablets, and had
    the resources to tweak drivers and such. Vista and Win7 on the other hand
    have both Tablet and Media Center bits built in. If it sees something it
    understands, it makes use of it. I'd try for the Win 7 option if possible.
    I've been very pleased with it's ability to support hardware, and it's
    performance.

    Sven, Aug 19, 2009

  3. What os is it running??? for example, is it running windows mobile or
    windows ce?

    Beverly Howard

    Beverly Howard, Aug 20, 2009
  4. Beverly Howard, Aug 20, 2009
  5. WildLatin

    WildLatin Guest

    Thanks...
    I have downloaded Win7 RC and hope to partition (160Gb) drive and try
    dual-boot.
    I also have the original Vista and XP-Pro (downgrade) restore discs.

    WildLatin, Aug 20, 2009
  6. WildLatin

    WildLatin Guest

    It is running XP-Pro downgraded from Vista- since my IT Dept doesn't
    support Vista.
    It is a dual-core processor - but not the fastest.

    WildLatin, Aug 20, 2009
  7. WildLatin

    WildLatin Guest

    I agree- it's very unclear that they only support the xp-tablet
    additional functions for the digitizing screen- NOT the touch screen !

    Here is a recent chat with
    support...............................................

    Thank you for choosing Panasonic Toughbook. A Tech Support
    Representative will be with you shortly.

    Chat InformationYou are now chatting with Jeff.

    You: I have a CF-19 with touchscreen (not dual-touch digitizer).

    Jeff: OL

    Jeff: OK

    You: I have XP-Pro (downgraded) but my rep tells me it won't run XP-
    Tablet. So it's a Tablet-PC that won't do what tablets do ???

    Jeff: One moment please while I find that information for you.

    You: So... What are the specs for installing 'XP-Tablet
    Additions' (additional features of XP-Pro only available from OEMs) on
    CF-19 ?

    Jeff: Is this a digitizer or a touchscreen?

    You: It is a touchscreen.

    Jeff: I'm sorry for the delay. I'll be right with you.

    Jeff: This unit will not have the complete functions as a Digitizer
    has..

    Jeff: Only touchscreen functions

    You: But the XP-Tablet functions are like 'sticky notes', handwriting
    recognition, etc.

    You: Bottom Line: I want to TRY it but my rep says they can't install
    it.

    Jeff: the handwriting recognition is with a utility call panasonic
    handwriting utility.

    Jeff: No xp tablet can not be loaded onto this unit.

    Jeff: This is not the tablet version

    Jeff: Windows xp tablet will only work correctly on the Digitizer.

    You: This is very unclear and misleading in Panasonic's advertising
    and info on the CF-19 Toughbook. It says over and over about Tablet
    Function ! What good is tablet-like without the software !

    Jeff: I understand William but your rep is correct.

    You: Haven't others encountered this confusion?

    Jeff: I am not aware if they have or not William.

    Jeff: Is there anything else I can help you with today?

    You: What about upgrades from Vista to Win7?

    Jeff: We have not implemented any upgrades from vista to windows 7 yet
    William.

    You: Most other manufacturers have published a policy for recently-
    purchased PCs and Win7. Isn't Panasonic going to follow?

    Jeff: Tech support have not gotten this information yet...but as soon
    as we do I am sure it will be made public.

    WildLatin, Aug 20, 2009
  8. I have to assume you installed generic XP-Pro rather than the tablet
    edition...

    Your _only_ option is to escalate a support call to the point where you
    can downgrade or purchase xppro-tablet _from panasonic_ as the os cannot
    be purchased by the end user... in addition, the tablet related drivers
    are critical.

    Again, that is your _only_ option to regain the tablet functionality
    under xppro.

    Beverly Howard

    Beverly Howard, Aug 20, 2009
  9. WildLatin

    WildLatin Guest

    I actually installed nothing so far... the machine CAME downgraded to
    XP-Pro from Vista Ultimate or some other variant of Vista (forgot).

    What I am saying is that Panasonic's policy is to INSTALL or give out
    those precious OEM-Only drivers ONLY on machines with (the $400
    extra) DIGITIZER displays- NOT TOUCH SCREEN.

    *** Does anyone know if there is a REAL justification for this?

    *** Can the XP-Tablet OS NOT RUN on a (resistance panel?) touch
    screen?

    I appreciate your input, Beverly. You are talking like you have had
    experience in this 'escalating a support call' process?

    So far my requests have met with a pretty firm "No, that cannot be
    done...".

    WildLatin, Aug 22, 2009
  10. WildLatin

    Sven Guest

    That closing comment is very typical for tech support. They are not
    generally kept in the loop for product news, upgrades, policies, etc. They
    pretty much are limited to having access to what is current. They are
    primarily there to support current customers, expected to be running current
    products.

    Sven, Aug 22, 2009
  11. precious OEM-Only drivers ONLY on machines with (the $400
    extra) DIGITIZER displays- NOT TOUCH SCREEN <<

    hmmm.... think you need to force an escalation... even if they don't
    want to release the digitizer drivers (very strange) the touchscreen
    also uses drivers which you don't appear to have.

    In the mean time, open computer properties (rt-click my computer) and
    post the complete and exact contents of "system" to pin down if it is a
    driver or a tablet os issue.

    Beverly Howard

    Beverly Howard, Aug 22, 2009
  12. WildLatin

    Tmom Guest

    Have you had any success resolving this issue? I am having the same problem.
    I work for a local fire department and we use the CF-18's and 19's on our
    Medic units. We purchased reporting software that utilizes the handwriting
    recognition but since we didn't purchase the "digitizer" machines just the
    "touchscreen" ones, we will not be able to utilize this function. Contact
    with techsupport has been very frustrating because basically they say we
    should have purchased the "digitizer" version.

    Tmom, Sep 1, 2009
  13. WildLatin

    Tmom Guest

    Any results from Panasonic on this subject? I'm having the same issue and
    would like to know what my options are. According to Panasonic there are no
    options.

    Tmom, Sep 1, 2009
  14. WildLatin

    WildLatin Guest

    Sorry that you made the same 'mistake' as I did !
    But then again my vendor and Panasonic made the issue as clear as mud
    by selling a 'tablet pc' that doesn't run tablet-pc software !!!

    Shouldn't there be some room for a 'class-action' type suit for
    misrepresentation? Lawyers?

    Unfortunately, my energy to fight with my vendor and/or Panasonic is
    limited with other things to do...

    One path I am trying is to install the Win7 Release Client as a dual-
    boot OS as I've heard that tablet capabilities are 'rolled-in'. I
    haven't completed that yet but I may today. I hope that this will give
    the capabilities we need.

    Any Win7 upgrade experiences? How does Win7 'know' how to 'turn on'
    tablet functions?

    BTW, if you noticed in an earlier msg I have asked Panasonic about OS
    upgrades to Win7 for recently-purchased units and they have been quiet
    so far.

    Anyone else heard anything on Win7 upgrades?

    I will update my experiences to this group.

    Will Latinette - Tech at Latrobe Specialty Steel

    WildLatin, Sep 2, 2009
  15. WildLatin

    Tmom Guest

    I appreciate your updating me on your situation. Let me know how the upgrade
    goes. I like you have other things to do that have made it hard for me to
    continue my search for the solution to this issue.

    Thanks and good luck!!!

    Tmom, Sep 3, 2009
  16. Sorry to hijack the thread...

    Anyone ever tried windows 2000 ws on the CF-19? Is it even possible?

    BertieBigBollox, Sep 4, 2009