Panther (10.3.2)'s Disk Utility burns CDs mountable by OS9 but not by OSX itself?!!

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Van Bagnol, Jul 29, 2004.

  1. Van Bagnol

    Van Bagnol Guest

    I'm playing with my new 1.25GHz iMac 20" and Panther (10.3.2), finally.
    However, it seems that when creating a new disk image in Disk Utility
    and subsequently burning a CD from it, the burned CD will not mount in
    OSX. It does, however, mount on my old Beige G3 running OS 9.2.2.

    Creating and burning a CD by opening a disk image session in the Finder,
    however, _does_ create an OS-9-and-X-mountable CD.

    Using Disk Utility to burn a disk image originally created by the
    Finder, however, does work, so it appears to be only disk images created
    by Disk Utility itself, regardless of the type of image Disk Utility
    creates.

    This phenomenon occurs both with the internal SuperDrive and with an
    external FW/USB2 CD-RW.

    Does anyone know if upgrading to 10.3.3 or 10.3.4 will address it?

    Van

    Van Bagnol, Jul 29, 2004

  2. Van Bagnol

    matt neuburg Guest

    I don't know, but I'm curious: why would anyone using 10.3.2 not upgrade
    to 10.3.4? It's free, and there is a reason why it's called an upgrade:
    it fixes bugs. m.

    matt neuburg, Jul 29, 2004

  3. Van Bagnol

    Van Bagnol Guest

    I'm still reading up on the reported side effects caused by the
    upgrades. For instance, 10.3.3 upgraders reported problems mounting
    certain USB flash drives; 10.3.4 upgraders reported Help Viewer crashes
    in Apple apps, VirtualPC broken, and SSH failing to connect. Also there
    are issues with applying upgrades incrementally (10.3.1 -> 10.3.2 ->
    10.3.3 -> 10.3.4) vs running the combo upgrade (10.3.x -> 10.3.4 in one
    step).

    While upgrades often fix bugs, they sometimes introduce or reveal many
    others. :-/

    Van

    Van Bagnol, Aug 1, 2004