    Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.1_01-69.1)
    Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.1_01-24, mixed mode)

    Any ideas on how to fix this?

    Gary Propp, Oct 25, 2003

  2. Gary Propp

    Hugh Wolf Guest

    Posting MIME is almost never a good idea.

    Your java isn't current:

    $ java -version
    java version "1.4.1_01"
    Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.1_01-99)
    Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.1_01-27, mixed mode)

    Note the build numbers.

    Did you do a clean install or an upgrade? Are you running a real
    Panther or some bootleg 10.3 downloaded from some random place?

    Hugh Wolf, Oct 25, 2003

  3. Gary Propp

    Gary Propp Guest

    If you try to do an install of the java package from the CD you get:
    Oct 24 13:37:37 : ./System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework (version
    1.4.1.600000.64) was not installed because a newer version (1.4.1.600300.3)
    already exists.

    I also now see this message in the /var/log/install.log for my original
    update.

    How do you do an uninstall?

    Gary Propp, Oct 25, 2003
  4. Gary Propp

    Hugh Wolf Guest

    That would explain the problem. I did archive-and-clean-install, not
    update. Sounds like all the folks who are seeing the HotSpot failure
    did an update install.

    I suppose you could simply delete the relevant Frameworks directory
    and try again. But if you have the space I _strongly_ recommend doing
    an archiving clean install instead.

    Hugh Wolf, Oct 25, 2003