Panther not supporting Rage 128 PCI on Quicksilver...?

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Blake Patterson, Jun 30, 2003.

  1. I have heard a solid report that Panther (OS X 10.3) dev preview
    installed on a dual G4 800 Quicksilver with a GeForce 3 AGP card and a
    PCI Rage 128 16MB board (for 2nd video display) does not effectively
    support the Rage 128 as a display, only allowing 640x480x256-color video
    on that screen (only option in Sys Prefs Display settings). Video on
    that screen is a sort of very dithery greyscale.

    This configuration apparently worked fine under all previous version of
    OS X (including Jaguar) for full high-res/hi-color support of the Rage
    128 board. (And despite the lack of Quartz Extreme for that board, the
    display is perfectly smooth on the Rage 128 - I've seen it in action).

    Is this likely just a current state issue as this is a dev preview or
    can we expect this situation to get no better?

    Thanks. (I have a somewhat similarly configured box and I am trying to
    gauge when I need to jump on the G5 train.)

    bp

    Blake Patterson, Jun 30, 2003

  2. The people who could give you an authoritative answer aren't permitted
    to. Given that the Rage 128 PCI card was stock equipment in the G4 Yikes
    as recently as late 1999, I suspect that it will be fully supported in
    the public release of Panther.

    Neill Massello, Jun 30, 2003