    PowerMac DP G4?

    TIA

    Jim

    Jim Wright, Jul 29, 2004

  2. Jim Wright

    Gerry Guest

    Yes.

    The OEM version only works on the computer that it was manufactured for.
    A OEM disk from an iBook, for example, will not work on a PowerBook or
    any other computer.

    Gerry

    Gerry, Jul 29, 2004

  3. Jim Wright

    Danny Guest

    Huh? The Panther disks I got with my G5 works just fine on my G4, too.

    Danny, Jul 29, 2004
  4. Jim Wright

    Acid Pooh Guest

    That's quite possible. There seems to be some firmware magic involved
    with regard to where the discs will boot. As a general rule of thumb,
    unless you know some specific information about the firmware versions
    different models have, buying the sort of disc that came with your
    machine is the best bet.

    'cid 'ooh

    Acid Pooh, Jul 30, 2004
  5. Jim Wright

    Danny Guest

    Acid Pooh wrote:
    As a general rule of thumb,
    Yes, of course.
    I was just taken aback by the categorical and erroneous statement Gerry
    made and had to "adjust" it a bit.

    Danny, Jul 30, 2004
  6. Jim Wright

    Pat Guest

    I'm not as familiar with how licensing works with Apple, but with Windows
    the OEM version is licensed only for the PC it came installed on. Legally,
    you can't move it from one PC to another (reinstall it another PC), although
    people do it all the time.

    I imagine Apple licensing is similar. If so, retail is the best (legal)
    choice.

    Pat

    Pat, Jul 31, 2004
  7. Jim Wright

    Chris Moore Guest

    From the read me file of a OEM MDD G4 Panther disk:

    Supported computers You can install this version of Mac OS X on any of
    the following computers:

    Power Mac G4
    Power Macintosh G3
    PowerBook G4
    PowerBook G3 (except the original PowerBook G3)
    iMac
    iBook

    Chris Moore, Jul 31, 2004