"Paper" light won't stop blinking on my HP LaserJet 4ML

Discussion in 'Apple' started by GitFiddler, Jan 4, 2008.

  1. GitFiddler

    GitFiddler Guest

    Not a Mac system problem, strictly speaking, but the Mac printing
    newsgroup gets no visitors. Also, I tried posting this four hours ago
    and it never showed up. My apologies if it miraculously shows up as a
    dupe of this one.

    Okay, my beloved workhorse printer has thrown a wobbly. The "Paper"
    light won't stop blinking, as if there's paper stuck in there
    somewhere. But there isn't. I press on the purple button for 5 seconds
    to reset things, but after cycling, the Paper light begins to blink
    again. I tried reinstalling the latest driver, which is now more than
    two years old, but it stops halfway through, telling me it can't find
    a system to install on. (?) I've tried unplugging everything and
    rebooting, and one time this did re-set things. But when I tried to
    print, the paper jammed. After I took the paper out, the Paper light
    continued to blink.

    I've taken out the cartridge and the tray and peered into every
    crevice of this beast; I can't find paper. Clearly something is
    hanging it up when it does manage to start printing. The paper I
    extract has the dusty black stuff on it; it hasn't been cooked into
    the paper or whatever is supposed to happen.

    Do you think something's fried in there? I love this printer because
    it's dirt-cheap to operate -- cartridges last more than a year.

    Any ideas?

    Oh, I'm running the latest 10.4 on an eMac with plenty of RAM. I can't
    think of any system changes I made before this problem cropped up.

    GitFiddler, Jan 4, 2008

  2. GitFiddler

    GitFiddler Guest

    Gosh, I don't know -- that's a good question. The printer has to be 10
    years old.

    GitFiddler, Jan 4, 2008

  3. GitFiddler

    GitFiddler Guest

    Happy to -- but what in the world am I looking for? A rogue piece of
    paper? Or is there a signature part I should be looking for?

    This might be the time to call a repairman...

    GitFiddler, Jan 4, 2008
  4. Fred McKenzie, Jan 5, 2008