Paper vs. Plastic (er... I mean digital plastic... paper...you knowwhat I mean)

Discussion in 'Embedded' started by rickman, Dec 21, 2007.

  1. rickman

    rickman Guest

    I am often a hard sell when it comes to taking away something I am
    used to. Even when data sheets started coming out in PDF, it took me
    a while before I got to like it. Mostly, it took the computers
    getting fast enough that I could breeze through the docs like I could
    with paper. Not withstanding the issues of being captive by Adobe for
    their crappy tools, the whole thing works pretty well.

    One thing I have always missed, is being able to take a data sheet I
    am reading with me into the library... you know what I mean, right?
    Come on, you do it too, so just admit it. I can't do that with a PDF
    unless I run the printer for 10 minutes beforehand.

    I just discovered another reason not to like PDF data sheets. I can
    make notations on a paper copy about calculations or thoughts on how
    to use it in my design. I can do that with PDF as well since Adobe
    provided means to make notations. But Adobe also gave the authors
    security features that can preclude my use of these features.
    Sometimes they forget to lock the protection so that all you need to
    do is to turn it off! But others... (I won't mention names Cirrus)
    seem to be so paranoid that they have total security locked down and I
    can't even print it to another PDF file which I thought I might be
    able to notate.

    Heck, one of the things I would do at one of the companies I used to
    work for was when submitting a part to be added to the approved
    component list, a copy of the data sheet was sent along with the
    company part number displayed across the front page. Seems some
    companies don't like having writing on their foreheads.

    Is it just me or are the component companies anti-engineer?

    rickman, Dec 21, 2007

  2. rickman

    msg Guest

    rickman wrote:

    <snip>

    Have you tried using the 'gs' tools (ghostscript and friends)? pdf->ps
    and manipulate to your hearts content (also pdf->dsc, and perhaps some
    new conversions I haven't seen) and then do ps->pdf for a notatable
    and open document.

    Regards,

    Michael

    msg, Dec 21, 2007

  3. You mean the meditation room, right ?
    Been there, done that. If printing is not blocked, print to a
    postscript file and convert it back to PDF, without the locks.
    Some times it seems that way. (As when they won't talk to you or
    provide information necessary to use their products, unless you buy a
    thousand times more than what you need from them.)

    Roberto Waltman

    [ Please reply to the group,
    return address is invalid ]

    Roberto Waltman, Dec 21, 2007