    on the back end to use like before for the older printers. Probably
    not many like me with this problem but just in case, this post might
    help.

    RnR, Feb 1, 2007

  2. RnR

    WSZsr Guest

    I bought a parallel port to usb cable so I could use my HP5P. Works great!

    in message news:...

    WSZsr, Feb 1, 2007

  3. RnR

    Tom Scales Guest

    Probably about as cheap to replace the printer. I bought an excellent
    Samsung laser for $69 brand-new after rebate. Included a full toner cart.

    Tom Scales, Feb 1, 2007
  4. RnR

    Ben Myers Guest

    Your other choice is to find a JetDirect Ethernet card for the LJ4 and plug it
    into your network. The card is an MIO card. They are cheap and easy to find
    these days. Much faster than parallel port and the printer operates
    independently of all computers, so anyone can use it without a specific computer
    being powered on.

    Been using networked LaserJets for a few years now, first an LJ4, now and LJ5M
    with PostScript and the maximum 50MB of memory. Cheap and reliable printing.

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Feb 1, 2007
  5. There are USB to parallel cables also, and they don't take up a slot.
    They have a Centronics connector on one end and a USB plug on the other end.

    Barry Watzman, Feb 1, 2007
  6. There actually are some real advantages to the older "full feature"
    laser printers. The new ones (the cheap ones) do all of their
    processing in the PC using the PCs processor. The machines like the one
    that the OP talked about (a Laserjet 4 ... I have one also) had their
    own processors and memory (I have 22 megabytes in mine), and they will
    do things that the new printers won't/can't, especially if you run any
    legacy (DOS) programs.

    Barry Watzman, Feb 1, 2007
  7. RnR

    Notan Guest

    <snip>

    My LaserJet 6P is *still* my workhorse.

    Notan, Feb 1, 2007
  8. RnR

    RnR Guest

    Yeah, I just found this out tonite but too late as I just ordered the
    pci card but I'm okay with that. Barry, is the Centronics connector
    the connection for the laserjet 4 ? If you don't know, I'll check
    around. I might order a usb to parallel cable anyway.

    thanks.

    RnR, Feb 1, 2007
  9. RnR

    RnR Guest

    Thanks Ben but I'm using it on a wireless network. I'd really like a
    wireless print server but it seems like most are part of a wireless
    router and my present router does not have it. And what few wireless
    print servers I found are as expensive as the wireless routers. Does
    this sound right?

    RnR, Feb 1, 2007
  10. RnR

    RnR Guest

    No, I definitely don't want to get rid of it. Works great and prints
    real nice. Actually I already have 3 other inkjet printers on my home
    network so I could eliminate this laserjet but it's the most reliable
    of any printer I ever had. The only way I'll junk it is when a major
    part inside fails that costs an arm and a leg.

    RnR, Feb 1, 2007
  11. RnR

    Notan Guest

    I've got a D-Link DP-311P wireless print server attached to my LaserJet 6P.

    Notan, Feb 1, 2007
  12. RnR

    RnR Guest

    Yep, I didn't realize this and already ordered the pci card. I might
    buy the parallel to usb cable in the near future anyway. Does the
    parallel end of the cable fit right on to the HP5P or do you need a
    female or male adapter??

    thanks.

    RnR, Feb 1, 2007
  13. RnR

    Ben Myers Guest

    Wireless print servers are expensive. Probably has to do with lower demand and
    a lower production volume for them than for wifi routers.

    So you don't want the printer plugged into the router with a Cat 5 cable? Too
    far away? ... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Feb 1, 2007
  14. RnR

    Ben Myers Guest

    The parallel connector on the LJ4 is an old-time Centronics... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Feb 1, 2007
  15. RnR

    RnR Guest

    Long story but lets say yes but I'll keep this idea under
    consideration in case I change my mind.

    thanks.

    RnR, Feb 1, 2007
  16. RnR

    RnR Guest

    I'll check this out for my LJ4.

    thanks Notan.

    RnR, Feb 1, 2007
  17. RnR

    RnR Guest

    Ben, do you know if this old time Centronics has the same connection
    detail as that on the typical usb parallel cable??

    RnR, Feb 1, 2007
  18. RnR

    Ben Myers Guest

    One thing I will say is that cat 5 is absolutely rock-solid reliable. I have
    dealt with a lot of home wifi networks where the signals bounce all over
    randomly. The result is that sometimes the wifi print server loses contact
    with the rest of the world, like when the portable phone rings or somebody turns
    on the microwave. This does not happen with Cat 5 unless maybe a cat chews the
    Cat 5.

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Feb 1, 2007
  19. RnR

    RnR Guest

    Just had an idea... can I have my laserjet 4 use a parallel usb
    cable connected to a usb hub connected to a wireless print server with
    a usb slot? thanks all.

    RnR, Feb 1, 2007
  20. RnR

    Bruno Guest

    I use a D-Link DP-300U print server with two parallel ports and one
    USB port. The parallel ports work great for an old HP LaserJet 4L and
    and even older NEC 1260. The USB port does not work with my brand new
    Canon MP830, though.

    -Bruno

    Bruno, Feb 1, 2007