Parallel Programming, Math, and the Curse of the Algorithm

Discussion in 'Embedded' started by Traveler, Oct 20, 2007.

  1. Traveler

    Traveler Guest

    Note. All of you senile old geeks on the comp.arch newsgroups need not
    bother to read the rest of this post. ahahaha... It's not meant for
    you. ahahaha...
    _________________________

    http://rebelscience.blogspot.com/2007/10/parallel-programming-math-and-curse-of.html

    From the Blog:

    "Mathematicians and the Birth of the Algorithmic Computer

    Adding more processing cores to a CPU should have been a relatively
    painless evolution of computer technology but it turned out to be a
    real pain in the ass, programming wise. Why? To understand the
    problem, we must go back to the very beginning of the computer age,
    close to a hundred and fifty years ago, when an Englishman named
    Charles Babbage designed the world’s first general purpose computer,
    the analytical engine. Babbage was a mathematician and like most
    mathematicians of his day, he longed for a time when he would be freed
    from the tedium of performing long calculation sequences. All he
    wanted was a reasonably fast calculator that could reliably execute
    mathematical sequences or algorithms. The idea of using a single fast
    central processor to emulate the behaviors of multiple small parallel
    processors was the furthest thing from his mind."

    Louis Savain

    Why Software Is Bad and What We Can Do to Fix It:
    http://www.rebelscience.org/Cosas/Reliability.htm

    Traveler, Oct 20, 2007

  2. Traveler

    Didi Guest

    So don't post your general babble here, these groups are engineering
    groups. Try something like alt.popular.whatever.

    Anybody else: sorry for feeding the troll - know I do it for the
    second
    time, I just want to exhaust the chance that the guy may be simply too
    slow to
    grasp that these are not groups he would want to belong to (too
    detailed,
    about real knowledge/products/work etc., not exactly the place for
    someone
    unable to spell his wanted nickname).

    Dimiter

    Didi, Oct 20, 2007

  3. Traveler

    Traveler Guest

    ahahaha... **** you, Lady Didi. ahahaha... I'll post whatever I want,
    in whatever newsgroups I please. There's not a damn thing you can do
    about it. I post my stuff here especially because it gets on your
    nerves. How about that, you senile jackass? You need to loosen up. Go
    eat some oatmeal or something. ahahaha...
    Traveler (with one fucking L), is how it is spelled in American
    dictionaries. I don't fucking care how it is spelled in English
    dictionaries or anywhere else, capeesh? If you don't like it, **** you
    again, Mr. little dictator wannabe. ahahaha... AHAHAHA... ahahaha...

    Traveler, Oct 20, 2007
  4. Traveler

    CBFalconer Guest

    I was about to enter a short message that your article made more
    technical sense than his. However you have managed to quickly show
    me the error of my ways. Thus PLONK.

    CBFalconer, Oct 20, 2007
  5. Traveler

    Tom Lucas Guest

    Is it just me or does starting his laugh with the 'a' conjure images of
    a Noel Coward style character with a smoking jacket and pipe mildly and
    politely laughing at a witticism he has made?

    Tom Lucas, Oct 22, 2007
  6. Traveler

    Traveler Guest

    No, you weren't. Liar. ahahaha...
    Good thing you assholes don't put food on my table, eh?

    Traveler, Oct 22, 2007
  7. Traveler

    Traveler Guest

    ahahaha... You're responding to my post and addressing me in the third
    person? That's a sign that you are addressing an audience (other than
    me) and kissing their asses. You know that, don't you? You little ass
    kisser. ahahaha...

    Traveler, Oct 22, 2007