Parallels - requires admin password - why? can I change that?

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Marc Heusser, Dec 26, 2007.

  1. Marc Heusser

    Marc Heusser Guest

    I am using Parallels to run Windows XP for software not available for
    Mac OS X (eg TomTom HOME/GPS, learning CD's etc).

    I have set it up to use the BootCamp partition's data.
    This is on Mac OS X 10.5.1 on a MBP, using Windows XP SP2 with all
    current updates, Parallels Desktop 3.0 build 5580, using a
    non-administrative account on Mac OS X.

    What bothers me is that it always asks for administrative access (Mac OS
    X) when starting up (asking for the Right system.volume.mount).

    It also always does a Parallels Tools initialization when starting up.

    (When using the BootCamp partition, you can only shut down the virtual
    machine, not suspend.)

    Is there a way to change that?

    TIA

    Marc

    Marc Heusser, Dec 26, 2007

  2. Marc Heusser

    Neil Nelson Guest

    Marc Heusser
    Install Fusion instead?

    Neil Nelson, Dec 27, 2007

  3. Check out the forums on Parallels website. You need to use the
    administrator password because you are using the partition created with
    BootCamp.

    If you don't need to boot up in Windows (typically for graphic
    compatibility with a Windows program), you can migrate that installation
    to a stand-alone virtual machine for use in Parallels using their
    Transporter utility. If you need to boot into Windows, and really don't
    like having to use administrator password when starting Parallels (and
    have access to ANOTHER license for Windows), you can create another
    virtual machine in Parallels.

    Stephen Grady, Dec 27, 2007
  4. Marc Heusser

    Marc Heusser Guest

    I had not found the information there - I will search again, thank you
    for the summary.
    I need it because of stupid copy protection schemes of learning CD's
    which fail inside Parallels, but work if booted in Windows :-(
    Thank you, but in this case I will live with using the admin password,
    because I do not like to use more disk space on my MBP for Windows than
    necessary - nor would I like to pay for another license.

    I do hope this changes sometime in the future.

    Marc

    Marc Heusser, Dec 27, 2007
  5. Marc Heusser

    Hugh Watkins Guest

    basically stop using bootcamp

    lots of grumbles in the Parallels forums about it

    http://forum.parallels.com/index.php

    I have been using a simple WInXP sp2 disk image without any serious
    problems for more than 18 months

    done the betas and the upgrades too
    staying with Mac OS 10.4.11 -- after about 10 years of MAc OS upgrades
    I think it pays to freeze any machine AS IS when it works

    neither Leopard nor Vista are woth the hassle unless you are a developert wi
    th a need for the latest guff

    Obviously my next Mac will have 10.5 or its successor

    Hugh W

    --
    For genealogy and help with family and local history in Bristol and

    http://snaps4.blogspot.com/ photographs and walks

    GENEALOGE http://hughw36.blogspot.com/ MAIN BLOG

    Hugh Watkins, Dec 27, 2007
  6. Marc Heusser

    Hugh Watkins Guest

    I run my 36 GB VM from a La Cie fire wire external disk to my MacBookPro

    and store all my images there and on Flickr
    texts and spread sheets in Google docs if you are short of HD space

    Hugh W

    Hugh Watkins, Dec 27, 2007