Part needed, Called Dell. Clueless!

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Mikie, Jun 12, 2006.

  1. Mikie

    Mikie Guest

    Hi folks,
    It is I again, trying to locate that part for my Dell 2400 Dimension
    -Bios A05 -purchased in May 2004, warranty over. Of Course!

    The Parts department guy (from India I'm sure), cannot locate the part
    on his schematics. I'm not so sure he is adequately trained so I was
    polite at all times. He suggested that I call Tech Support. (Me not
    think so). Maybe someone here can help.

    This is precisely what I told the chap to direct him to the part I

    "Looking at the FRONT of the case, down BELOW, just to the RIGHT of
    'INTEL INSIDE', the case cover is recessed; in the recession is a set
    of (2)USB ports, and to the right of it, a green port for probably a
    Microphone. ..."

    ".....I removed the Case Front, which exposes the unit for removal.. I
    unscrewed (2) screws and the entire unit came out. It is connected to
    the motherboard by means of an 18 pin female plug which I unplugged and
    then I removed the entire unit .

    The unit consists of a circuit board about 1.5" x 2.5", on which is
    the set of (2) USB ports, the microphone port, and a small condenser.
    (The man insisted it was the mother board that I needed...Grrrrr" but
    I maintained my courteousness and composure.

    I have a small white tag on mine, showing the letters A01 and J0016
    .. Apparently that was meaningless to the Parts Department, All other
    numbers are impressed or burned onto the tiny circuit board ; they are
    so small, my 79 year old eyes can't read them, even with a huge
    magnifying glass because the impressions are imperfect!

    I can certainly do without those two USB ports, It simply bothers my
    perfectionist personallity to have a crippled PC, so I would so much
    like to repair it.

    Would appreciate any help you can offer....

    Always humble and thankful
    Mike francisco+(numbernine)@ A T T dot NET
    Picture Rocks, AZ
    Mikie, Jun 12, 2006
    1. Advertisements

  2. Mikie

    Fred Mau Guest

    This unit is called the "I/O Panel" in Dell terminology. I wouldn't bother
    ordering one from Dell - they're available from any number of Dell
    specialist on the net, just do a web search on "Dell Parts". Some places
    might also call it the "I/O Board" or "I/O controller".

    BTW, the green jack is for headphones not microphone.

    - FM -
    Fred Mau, Jun 12, 2006
    1. Advertisements

  3. Mikie

    S.Lewis Guest

    Yep. In their terminology, the "front I/O USB/audio panel" or "control
    panel". The (5-character) part number is there on it somewhere, which would
    even further minimize the chance for ordering error.

    S.Lewis, Jun 12, 2006
  4. Mikie

    John Pezzano Guest

    And, Mikie, you might want to find some neighborhood kid with good eyes to
    read that information to you. Kids are good for something!

    John Pezzano, Jun 13, 2006
  5. Mikie

    Notan Guest

    Or do like the rest of us old codgers do, and keep a magnifying glass handy.

    You have to feed kids! <g>

    Notan, Jun 13, 2006
  6. Mikie

    Ben Myers Guest

    I have one of those nice swiveling magnifying lamps with a circular fluorescent
    bulb. Very nice for use by chipheads and other folk needing to read teeny, tiny
    print... Ben Myers
    Ben Myers, Jun 13, 2006
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.