    have tried to use the Windows XP Disk Management utility, but when I
    right click the drive, no option is presented for adding a new
    partition. Can anyone help? Thanks!

    kidzmatter2me, Feb 1, 2005

    x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

    C.Joseph Drayton, Feb 1, 2005

  3. kidzmatter2me

    Evan Guest

    Thanks for the help! I suspected that I needed to delete the
    partition. There is no data on the hard drive that I can't get back,
    so I can safely delete it. I had looked at Partition Magic, but I
    can't spend any money right now. Thanks for the help!

    Evan, Feb 2, 2005
  4. kidzmatter2me

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    You don't need to spend any money. Just use fdisk, a command line program which
    creates or removes partitions. It's part of DOS, but I don't think it's
    included in modern Windows systems. I'm sure you can download it though.

    I prefer the Linux version of fdisk, which is more flexible, and actually easier
    to use. You can create any filesystem you want except NTFS. You can get it by
    downloading a Linux boot/repair/rescue disk, which runs Linux from a floppy or a
    CD, so you don't have to worry about harming your C: drive. You can repost this
    question to a Linux newsgroup to get better answers on how to do this.

    The advantage of Partition Magic is that it can resize partitions on the fly, as
    long as they're contigious, and there's enough contigious free space. Other
    than that it's unnecessary, unless you like paying $70 for the convenience of a
    graphical program.

    Matt O.

    Matt O'Toole, Feb 4, 2005