    have tried to use the Windows XP Disk Management utility, but when I
    right click the drive, no option is presented for adding a new
    partition. Can anyone help? Thanks!

    Evan, Feb 1, 2005

  2. Evan

    Andrew Guest

    : Hi. I have an external hard drive that I have been using for about 3
    : months. I am using a system with Windows XP home. I would like to add a
    : partition to it for backup, but can't seem to find an answer to my
    : problem. What I need to do is create a new partition on the drive
    : WITHOUT using Fdisk due to the lack of a floppy drive in my laptop. I
    : have tried to use the Windows XP Disk Management utility, but when I
    : right click the drive, no option is presented for adding a new
    : partition. Can anyone help? Thanks!

    Try Partition Magic.

    Andrew
    --
    ----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----

    Andrew, Feb 1, 2005

  3. Evan

    wbw Guest

    You can't add a new partition because there's already a partition there,
    which takes up the whole drive. You'll have to delete the existing
    partition if you want to get anywhere with the Windows utility. Of
    course, if you don't want to lose that data (or you don't have a place
    where you can copy it temporarily), you'll have to use a program like
    Partition Magic, as suggested by another poster. It can alter
    partitions while leaving the data intact.

    wbw, Feb 1, 2005