Partition Magic 8.0 Vs Dell Dimension 2400

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Michael P Gabriel, Jul 19, 2004.

  1. Hi1

    I'm using a six month old Dell Desktop, w/WIN XP, 512 ram, 40 G Hdd. I
    ran MSCONFIG and UN-clicked the box that reads "LOAD START UP ITEMS".
    I then restarted, and verified that no boxes were checked in MS
    CONFIG, (AND, another utility I use that is better than MSCONFIG as it
    offers the opportunity to delete the entire line as well, from
    MSCONFIG) Well, with my PC rebooted, snd nothing in MSCONFIG, I ran
    Partition Magic and took the necessary steps to divide my 40G drive
    into 7G for Op-Sys and drivers, and 32G for programs and utilities.

    Next step was performed by PM 8.0. It restarted and began the
    partitioning on a light blue page. Suddenly I received an error
    message stating that the process could not be continued because either
    a virus program was running, or the Boot Sector Virus Protection was
    enabled. Well! No antivirus program was running AND there is NO
    opportunity in the DELL BIOS to enable OR disable any Boot Sector
    Virus Protection. It's just not there!!

    Now what do I do to partition my drive? Use the PM disk as a frisbee?
    Seriously, though, I do hang up used CD disks on a line in my garden
    to scare birds away from a freshly seeded row. They work !!!

    Thanks for help, advice and even sympathy
    Mike
    Picture Rocks, AZ

    Michael P Gabriel, Jul 19, 2004

  2. You're not using Partition Magic correctly. You need to read their PDF
    documentation thoroughly.

    In order to successfully repartition a disk that includes your operating
    system, you should use the diskette and work from DOS. No reason to play
    with msconfig.

    Rocky

    Rocket J. Squirrel, Jul 19, 2004

  3. Michael P Gabriel

    Tom Scales Guest

    Rocky,

    Sorry, but that's wrong. I agree you don't need to mess with MSCONFIG, since
    PM restarts into 'pre-WINXP mode' to do its thing, but you don't ever need
    to boot from the diskette. You lose many, many of the PM options.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Jul 19, 2004
  4. Michael P Gabriel

    Paul Knudsen Guest

    I don't know why you fooled with msconfig, but if you've paid for the
    PM program, call for assistance.

    Paul Knudsen, Jul 20, 2004