Partitioning Drive with PartitionMagic v8?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Charlie Chapman, Jan 24, 2004.

  1. I have a new computer on order with a 120GB Harddrive. I want to partition into 3
    partitions. It's been a few years since I performed this activity, so I want to ensure I
    get it right. The system will have the latest version of WinXP Home Edition installed.

    I reviewed the FAQs on Powerquest site but did not locate the instructions I was looking
    for. I want to partition the 120GB C drive into:
    C - 20GB
    D - 50GB
    E - 50GB

    If I understand PMv8 Quick Start Guide, I would:
    - select the C drive (will only have the 120GB C drive)
    - select Create a partition, and then create a 100GB Extended Partition? (Leaving the C
    drive as Primary Partition at 20GB?)
    - select the Extended Partition and select the operation to create a logical partition
    within the extended partition - 50GB D drive
    - select the Extended Partition again and select the operation to create another logical
    partition within the extended partition with the remaining Unallocated space - 50GB E
    drive

    Does this appear to be the correct procedure? ANY thoughts/suggestions are appreciated.

    A second question, the system will come with 2 CD drives, probably assigned as drives D &
    E - I will first need to reassign those to higher drive letters to allow PartitionMagic to
    assign D & E to the new partitions. What's the best (and safest) way to reassign these
    drive letters?

    Thanks for any and all insights.
    Charlie
    Charliec
    NOTE: Remove "NOSPAM" to respond via Email

    Charlie Chapman, Jan 24, 2004

  2. Once you install the software, and read through the documentation, you will
    understand exactly what to do. Partition Magic has a great interface - even
    when run from the diskette - and what you need to do will be quite clear.
    Don't worry about it now. PM sweats the details; you just follow the steps.
    You'll do just fine.

    Rocky

    Rocket J. Squirrel, Jan 24, 2004

  3. Then resize the C drive/Primary Partition to 20GB
    As Rocket J said, PM8 will pretty much walk you through the
    repartitioning - e.g., it wouldn't have let you create the
    Extended partition before you resized the Primary Partition. But
    this is one program where, besides the Quick Start Guide, you
    will profit if you RTFM also.

    Ogden Johnson III, Jan 24, 2004
  4. Thanks for the reply, Ogden, but the Quick Start Guide is all that was provided - no
    manual was included!

    Charlie Chapman, Jan 24, 2004
  5. Charlie Chapman

    Tom McCune Guest

    The manual should be in the Start menu.

    Your understanding sounds pretty good on the partitioning.

    With WinXP, you can leave the CD drives as they are set. Your logical
    drives can then be F and G, and this works fine. When I originally
    repartitioned my laptop, I changed the CD drive designation, but soon
    returned it because there were too many references in Windows to the
    original designation. If you want to change the drive designations, I
    believe I remember correctly that it is done in Device Manaager.

    Tom McCune, Jan 24, 2004
  6. Charlie Chapman

    Curt Guest

    PM-8 has a feature called 'Drive Mapper' which will maintain the logical
    drive hierarchy, moving the opticals down the chain. PM is well worth the
    money. I always put my optical drives at the very end of the alphabet, e.g.
    X,Y and Z. That way if you get any USB drives there will be less confusion
    amongst them.

    Curt, Jan 25, 2004