PartitionMagic

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Will, Feb 22, 2004.

  1. Thomas M. Goethe, Feb 24, 2004

  2. Will

    Scott Coutts Guest

    Yeah, thats just as I said... are you suggesting that the G4xx or G5xx
    cards don't have hardware acceleration?! They have complete hardware
    support for all the windows GDI functions, as well as directdraw
    functions, which is what photoshop will use. As an aside, it also has 3D
    hardware acceleration!

    Scott.

    Scott Coutts, Feb 24, 2004

  3. Will

    Henrik Guest

    Miro,

    what would be the ideal PS setup (skip quad and eight processors :) atm)

    I am unfortunately stuck in IDE land, with a few four-channel cache
    controllers AHA-2400A
    and I am frustrated by not finding a good way to set this up or rather tired
    of trying :)

    what would you recommend?

    thanks

    Henrik

    Henrik, Feb 24, 2004
  4. Will

    Henrik Guest

    Hi Leythos,

    How is your Dual Xeon setup, what hardware and how is your swap and pagefile
    setup? I would be interested to know, thanks

    Henrik

    PS: eight GB that would be nice :)

    Henrik, Feb 24, 2004
  5. Will

    Leythos Guest

    I'm running an ASUS PC-DL Motherboard that supports Dual CPU's and made
    a small mistake, I only have 4GB in that machine, the 8gb is in another
    server - sorry for the mistake. The PSU is critical for a Xeon system,
    it's a 550W PSU. Also, you have to get matched Xeon CPU's or you'll play
    heck getting them to POST. I'm running the 533Mhz CPU's.

    The PC-DL supports 6 drives on three controllers (4 on IDE, 2 on SATA,
    and 2 on RAID SATA), max of 6 drives in any combination.

    RAID 1 on Hardware SATA RAID controller: 2 x 250gb drives.
    C: 10gb OS and OS related apps/data
    D: 240gb apps, data, misc

    RAID 1 on SATA controller (software RAID 1): 2 x 120gb drives
    E: 120gb swap file, TEMP files, etc... Also acts as backup space form
    "D" drive for nightly backups.

    I have a Radeon 9200 card in this machine.

    Leythos, Feb 24, 2004
  6. Will

    Miro Guest

    It takes a little tuning but I think I would be content with the following -

    Hardware config
    -----------------
    - Twin Xeon based SuperMicro motherboard
    - 2 or more gigs of ram
    - extra cooling fans
    - Matrox video card or similarly docile card from Geoforce.
    - disable unused ports

    Software config
    ----------------
    One drive for boot
    One drive for system and printing cache
    One drive for PS cache
    One drive for data

    I think this is about as extreme as I would want to take it in the drive
    department but it does really work. The drives can be all different sizes,
    but I note that one of the worlds best IDE drives is only 40Gb max.

    Miro, Feb 24, 2004
  7. Will

    mathew Guest

    It's rather hard to write to a swapfile when there's no space, whether
    it be the Windows or Photoshop one.
    You're wrong. Despite common misconceptions, Windows isn't based on a
    DEC OS, VMS or otherwise. It was designed by a guy who worked for DEC,
    that's it.

    mathew, Feb 24, 2004
  8. Will

    mathew Guest

    That might well be a waste of time anyway. Is Photoshop multithreaded?

    mathew, Feb 24, 2004
  9. Will

    Hank Arnold Guest

    It's something of an urban myth that moving the swap file to another
    partition will speed things up. Sounds good, but, it may, in fact, slow
    things down. If it is on the same physical drive as the OS and data files,
    it will probably mean more head movements than normal if you use the swap
    file. Realistically, IMHO, there's not much impact in today's modern hard
    drives.... If you put the swap file on another physical drive, *then* you
    may (and I mean *MAY*) see some improvement in performance.

    There *is* an advantage w.r.t. fragmentation and space. If you are tight on
    space on the boot partition, moving it will free up space without having to
    re-partition the drive. Also, if you are running multiple Windows boot
    partitions, it may allow both to use the same space. If the partition is
    exclusively for the swap file, it should help reduce fragmentation of the
    swap file, a *potential* speed improvement.

    Having said that, I'm of the opinion that partitioning is of no help to the
    vast majority of users out there. If you don't backup your system, create
    disk images or run multiple boot partitions, it's hard to see what it does
    for the average user. IMHO, it only confuses them to hear "C: Drive, D:
    Drive", etc.

    For experienced & expert users, there *are* advantages. However, I really
    don't think that it's worth it any more for all the others.......

    Hank Arnold, Feb 24, 2004
  10. Will

    Miro Guest

    That's not what the guys at special systems told me when they found the SAME
    backdoors.

    Miro, Feb 24, 2004
  11. Will

    Tom Scales Guest

    There is, however, a benefit from moving it to a separate DRIVE. People get
    Partition and Drive confused.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Feb 24, 2004
  12. "People get Partition and Drive confused."

    Oh man, I couldn't agree more. Most users neither understand nor benefit
    from the 'tweaking' and 'optimization' advice that's commonly hyped in
    computer magazines and newsgroups. And plenty of software outfits rake in
    money by selling applications that give users a false sense of security
    while accomplishing essentially nothing.

    Rocky

    Rocket J. Squirrel, Feb 24, 2004
  13. Will

    Leythos Guest

    I agree with this, but I can confirm the second drive:

    1) Partitioning only means that you have different areas of the SAME
    drive, that means that the R/W Head has to move farther when switching
    from partition 1 to partition 2.

    2) Dual drives mean that the R/W heads do not have to move when
    accessing data contained on the other drive - this does lead to a
    significant boost in performance under the right conditions.

    Conditions for performance gain in dual drive systems:

    1) Low memory, swap needed, swap on second drive
    2) Temp file space redirected to second drive and needed
    3) Any apps temp space redirected to second drive while the data the app
    is working with is not on that same drive

    Always set your swap file at a fixed size, this also benefits your
    performance by not having to increase/decrease it and lessens the chance
    for fragmentation.

    Consider this:

    A sorting routine that sorts a 1g file and writes the output to the same
    drive - given an example time of 1 minute to process, would wake about
    20 seconds if the output were written to a second drive. I've actually
    done this in several OS's and tests.

    Leythos, Feb 24, 2004
  14. All that makes sense. The reasoning I heard, for putting the Photoshop
    scratch disk (Adobe for swap file) is to avoid fragmentation and corruption
    of the partition where Photoshop is installed. Some Photoshop PC users claim
    the Adobe scratch disk is messy and will fragment a hard drive and sometimes
    corrupt it as well. The last may be a moot point with NTFS.

    I Haven't tried it in a spearate partition. I may if I get time. I
    haven't had any particular problems with the scratch disk, but some folks in
    my little niche of computing swear by it. I may swear at it after trying it.
    The IT people at the newspaper where I work, as a matter of course, set up a
    separate partion on all of the Macs for the Photoshop scratch disk, but that
    is a different OS and may not be relevant.

    There is a lot of opinion that it does offer a number of advantages to
    move the Adobe scratch disk to a separate drive, but only if that drive is
    as fast or faster than the primary drive. Of course, if the second drive is
    faster, one might wonder why it isn't the primary.

    I guess the bottom line is that some hard core Photoshop users in the
    newspaper end insist that the Photoshop scratch disk causes a lot more
    problems that the Windows swap file. I'm not sure of that, but thought I
    might try their advice and see if it keeps my main partition less
    fragmented. Of course, there is now some opinion that fragmentation is not a
    big deal on an NTFS volume (PC World magazine), so it may not matter at all.
    Quite true, won't argue with that. It's hard enough to get most users
    to even do backups.

    Thomas M. Goethe, Feb 24, 2004
  15. Will

    Henrik Guest

    Hmm, well I am only short of the dual Xeon, had a look at the
    http://www.supermicro.com/PRODUCT/MotherBoards/E7505/X5DA8.htm
    which looks like a really nice board - and on the AMD side it was the Tyan
    Thunder K8W
    hmm,...damn I knew I should have followed my instinct :)
    instead I am sitting here with a 3.2 P4 800

    anyway thanks for the feedback - back to the drawing board!

    Henrik

    PS: would you raid any of this stuff! if not I may as well build a storage
    box for the last ten drives :)

    Henrik, Feb 24, 2004
  16. Will

    Henrik Guest

    :) I was just kiddin :)

    Henrik

    Henrik, Feb 24, 2004
  17. Will

    Phred Guest

    Ahh... That explains why I couldn't get to it.
    (Tried "robgalbright" too. :cool:

    Cheers, Phred.

    Phred, Feb 24, 2004
  18. Will

    Henrik Guest

    thanks for the reply,

    I must go back and think this all over

    Henrik

    Henrik, Feb 24, 2004
  19. What a great thread this has turnmed out to be...I'm taking notes.

    Rocky

    Rocket J. Squirrel, Feb 24, 2004
  20. Will

    bc_acadia Guest

    And plenty of software outfits rake in
    Indeed. Many of the programs advertising themselves as Spyware or
    Adware killers are actually Spyware or Adware themselves.

    Please reply in this forum, above email address is no longer valid.
    Have a nice day AND a happy life.

    bc_acadia, Feb 24, 2004