PartitionMagic

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Will, Feb 22, 2004.

  1. Will

    Miro Guest

    Miro, Feb 27, 2004

  2. Will

    Miro Guest

    Look at it this way. Some hard drives just curl up and die, others flop
    around like B-grade actors and just cant seem to get the whole death thing
    into perspective. Admitedly sudden death is far more common, but not the
    only style of data decapitation.

    Miro, Feb 27, 2004

  3. Will

    Unknown Guest

    Nothing to do with what I said above, a few letters back though....

    A HD can die on a raid and not affect any other HD.

    Unknown, Feb 27, 2004
  4. Will

    Miro Guest

    No it can also screw the data bus and make the I/O rate climb till it cant
    do anything useful. Your assumption is not without its holes.

    Miro, Feb 27, 2004
  5. Will

    Miro Guest

    I covered this several days ago.

    Miro, Feb 27, 2004
  6. Will

    Leythos Guest

    Now, see, you are talking about data corruption via valid data channels
    and not due to corruption because of the array or hardware or drivers.

    A virus type discussion has nothing to do with this thread. That would
    be like talking about a user deleting a file and wondering what they
    mirrored drive also deleted it!

    We're talking RAID, RAID Hardware, RAID Software, etc....

    Leythos, Feb 27, 2004
  7. Will

    Leythos Guest

    You are NOT talking about RAID here. If you want to talk backup and
    change the thread subject, please change the headers/subject to reflect
    the change in topic.

    I could do the same thing your PQ is doing for free with just NT/2000
    and a spare drive.

    Leythos, Feb 27, 2004
  8. Will

    Leythos Guest

    Yea, so did I, but it seems like people keep missing the point and don't
    understand the technology.

    Leythos, Feb 27, 2004
  9. Will

    Unknown Guest

    OK so I used the word "virus". It doesn't matter. Your RAID goes stupid,
    your main backup and incremental done 30 minutes BEFORE the stuffup are
    still fine. They aren't scrambled.

    Unknown, Feb 27, 2004
  10. Will

    Unknown Guest

    Depends on many things so in effect, so is your statement!

    Mine is still true!

    Unknown, Feb 27, 2004
  11. Will

    Unknown Guest

    Actually, yes I AM talking about RAID as mentioned quite some letters back.
    The whole thing isnt a real time backup in this scenario but an incremental
    and it STILL exists on a raid and is STILL fine when C drive karks it,
    mirrored drive karks it and all else is dog poop. When you have the hardware
    running again, the main and incrementals up to 30 minutes before the stuffup
    in this scenario, are still there, still able to be restored from etc. Drive
    holding said data still exists on a raid and if you are silly enough JUST to
    trust real time mirror imaging, you deserve to get fired when it all stuffs
    up and your backups are toast! BTW, I am not saying YOU personally but the
    all encompassing "you".
    You could try but you wouldn't have it all.

    Unknown, Feb 27, 2004
  12. Will

    Miro Guest

    You're American arent you ..... its all about winning, it has nothing to do
    with common sense.

    Miro, Feb 27, 2004
  13. Will

    Leythos Guest

    And you information has nothing to do with the discussion - which was
    about RAID or non-RAID. The same thing would happen on a single drive
    system or a RAID system.

    RAID can't go stupid, it writes to the drive what the controller tells
    it to write, nothing more, nothing less. Who could you see a virus or a
    backup as even being an issue with RAID and performance?

    Leythos, Feb 27, 2004
  14. Will

    Leythos Guest

    I understand what you are saying, a good design will always take this
    into account, but it really has nothing to do with RAID.

    You are talking about Disaster Recovery, which has nothing to do with
    RAID.

    Disaster recovery has nothing to do with the thread or RAID performance.

    Leythos, Feb 27, 2004
  15. Will

    Leythos Guest

    While I AM American, I'm not the New-School American type. In our group
    we don't confuse RAID with a means of Disaster Recovery or a "Backup"
    method. We consider RAID for performance enhancement and for hardware
    redundancy in most cases.

    Leythos, Feb 27, 2004
  16. Will

    Unknown Guest

    Actually, RAID setups ARE disaster recovery in a LOT of instances. I
    wouldn't be so foolish as to talk about RAID without taking that into
    account, myself.

    Unknown, Feb 28, 2004
  17. Will

    Unknown Guest

    Then you don't understand the term "redundancy" quite obviously! If
    "redundancy" isn't "disaster recovery" why bother with raid? Eg, real time
    constant mirror imaging and main drive motor burns out. Mirrored drive takes
    over. If you didn't have a mirrored drive you would be sitting in a
    disaster.

    Disaster recovery is what raid redundancy is all about! Understand the term
    and you understand the concept!

    Unknown, Feb 28, 2004
  18. Will

    Leythos Guest

    Disaster recovery is what happens after a disaster - a auto-swap (or
    manual swap) of a drive into an array is not correcting a disaster.

    A disaster is something that causes data loss or hardware loss that
    causes you schedule time or downtime.
    No, RAID has many layers of protection, but it also PREVENTS A DISASTER,
    it is NOT disaster recovery or a definition of it.

    RAID offers so many things - increase number of conversation pools, more
    heads, more writes, etc.... It also offers a redundant means to secure
    live data.

    RAID has nothing to do with Disaster Recovery, it has everything to do
    with preventing a disaster recovery need.

    Off-Site storage, on-line snap-shots, shared arrays with clusters, tape,
    spare parts on the shelf, heck, even CA offers a hot-swap server that
    mirrors your OS/Data in real time and can fail over in under 30 seconds,
    etc... these are parts of Disaster Recovery.

    Just how many Disaster Recovery plans have you written for corporations
    or government agencies?

    Leythos, Feb 28, 2004
  19. Will

    Miro Guest

    Like I said .... common sense, very uncommon.

    Miro, Feb 28, 2004
  20. Will

    Rob Guest

    RAID is an acronym and nothing to do with disaster recovery, since when
    has a RAID 0 array been anything more than a speed enhancement?

    Rob

    Rob, Feb 28, 2004