parts list for my new PC from Newegg -- roll your own and save

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JL, Feb 18, 2008.

  1. JL

    JL Guest

    I want to replace our 6 year old dinosaur P4 system because it is slow
    compared to the newer stuff. And it's been upgraded to its max specs.
    I priced Dells on their website and was unimpressed. For about $450
    (including shipping), I could buy their basic system, but it's
    handicapped with a crappy Celeron with low L2 cache, crappy graphics,
    one gig of RAM, and just a CD-RW/DVD combo drive.

    But for $300 worth of parts from Newegg, I can get an ASUS mobo with a
    fast AMD Athlon 64 X2 cpu, 2 gigs of RAM, decent video, ASUS DVD burner,
    ASUS case, and all the other necessary parts. I thought the major PC
    co's like Dell or HP would be more competitive in terms of the specs of
    their machines, but I guess not. A friend just paid about $900-$1000
    for an HP that has just slightly better specs than the one I am building
    for $300. Home brew all the way, for me. "Roll your own" and save.

    Here are the parts I am buying to build a low end machine that we use
    for mostly internet (Firefox) and office apps (OpenOffice) and some
    older PC games. Any advice or alternative recommendations for these
    parts?

    ASUS M2N-MX SE Plus AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 6100 Micro ATX AMD
    Motherboard - Retail
    Item #: N82E16813131249
    Return Policy: Limited 30-Day Return Policy
    Select An Optional Extended Warranty Plan 1 Year Extended Service Net
    Replacement Plan -- $14.99 2 Year Extended Service Net Replacement Plan
    -- $19.99
    $54.99

    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ Brisbane 2.1GHz Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core
    Processor Model ADO4000DDBOX - Retail
    Item #: N82E16819103774
    Return Policy: Processors (CPUs) Return Policy
    Select An Optional Extended Warranty Plan 1 Year Extended Service Net
    Replacement Plan -- $14.99 2 Year Extended Service Net Replacement Plan
    -- $19.99
    $59.99

    ASUS 18X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black PATA Model DRW-1814BL -
    OEM
    Item #: N82E16827135148
    Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
    $28.99

    ASUS TA-853 (generic) Black/ White Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
    350W Power Supply - Retail
    Item #: N82E16811173031
    Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
    $20.00 Mail-in Rebate
    $49.99

    Western Digital Caviar SE WD800JD 80GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
    - OEM
    Item #: N82E16822135106
    Return Policy: Limited 30-Day Return Policy
    Select An Optional Extended Warranty Plan 1 Year Extended Service Net
    Replacement Plan -- $9.99 2 Year Extended Service Net Replacement Plan
    -- $19.99
    $41.99

    G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual
    Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8500CL5D-2GBPK - Retail
    Item #: N82E16820231144
    Return Policy: Memory (Modules, USB) Return Policy
    -$30.00 Instant
    $99.99
    $69.99

    Subtotal: $305.94