PATA RAID on a K8V SE Deluxe?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Nikko, Mar 8, 2005.

  1. Nikko

    Nikko Guest

    I'm trying to set up RAID 1. My mobo, the K8V SE Deluxe, appears to have an
    IDE/PATA RAID controller on board. It also appears that there are one or two
    SATA RAID controllers. Anyway, all I want to do is set up RAID 1 with my two
    Maxtor IDE/PATA drives. Is that possible? The wording in the mobo manual
    makes me wonder. It says,

    quote:

    These connection options are available for creating a RAID 0 or RAID 1
    array: a. connect two Parallel ATA HDDs to primary RAID connector and one
    Serial ATA HDD to either one of the two serial ATA connectors

    Why does it say *and* a serial ATA HDD? Does this mean it doesn't support
    just PATA RAID?

    I connected my two drives to the onboard IDE RAID controller. When I got to
    the part where I'm supposed to pick a source drive, it only gave me two
    choice two was an SATA drive. Neither choice makes sense since I don't have
    an SATA drive installed and since I want my source drive to be the OS drive,
    which is the master drive that's connected to the IDE RAID controller.

    Any ideas on what to do? I'm really flummoxed.

    Nikko, Mar 8, 2005

  2. Nikko

    Paul Guest

    From the manual:

    South Bridge supports
    - 2 x UltraATA 133 connectors
    - 2 x SATA with RAID 0, RAID 1
    Promise R20378 RAID controller
    - 1 x UltraDMA133 supports two hard drives
    - 2 x Serial ATA connectors
    - RAID 0, RAID 1 and RAID 0+1 configurations

    That means the Promise controller can take 2xSATA + 2xPATA,
    as in order to do RAID 0+1 in a realistic manner takes
    four drives.

    So, you can stick your two PATA drives on the Promise controller.
    Set the jumpers like on any other PATA cable - one drive is master
    and one is slave, or use cable select on both drives. An 80 wire
    cable will allow UDMA operation.

    The only problem with doing RAID on the same cable, is the
    sharing of the cable by the two drives, can reduce RAID performance
    by 30% (I think someone tested that on Abxzone forums).

    Set up the Promise 20378 in the BIOS, for RAID operation, and
    enable the RAID BIOS. If you want to install Windows on this
    array, you will likely need to press F6 and install the RAID
    driver from a floppy.

    Paul

    Paul, Mar 8, 2005