    (WD2500BB) hard drive. I could not get the drive recognized by the BIOS.

    Are these convertors sometimes known to be flaky, or is it possuible that
    the Serial ATA ports on my new mobo are hosed ?

    ZigZag Master, Aug 6, 2004

  2. ZigZag Master

    Mark Guest

    Did you install the sata drivers???

    Mark, Aug 6, 2004

  3. The BIOS doesnt even see the drives

    ZigZag Master, Aug 6, 2004
  4. ZigZag Master

    Mark Guest

    Thats what I am saying.....you will need to install the sata drivers...they
    should have come on your motherboard CD.

    Mark, Aug 6, 2004
  5. I don't think yer hearing me man. The BIOS does not see the drive. There
    is not even an operating system on my machine yet.

    ZigZag Master, Aug 6, 2004
  6. ZigZag Master

    *Vanguard* Guest

    Drivers are NOT used until you load an operating system. Obvious. The
    BIOS should recognize the drive it before any OS gets loaded to then
    load any drivers specific to a device. On the NF7-S, there is actually
    a second BIOS just for the SATA support (although it is embedded within
    the same flash update for the system BIOS). You first see the BIOS load
    and the screen showing CPU and memory which is followed by a screen
    clear and a load of the SATA BIOS. If the system BIOS has the SATA
    device disabled then the SATA BIOS won't load and you get no support of
    the SATA ports. If the system BIOS has the SATA port(s) enabled then
    you should see the SATA BIOS get loaded later (just like you see SCSI
    BIOS get loaded later). The SATA BIOS will then scan for drives on
    those ports. If the SATA BIOS loads but it doesn't find any drives then
    nothing later is going to see the drives, either, even if you load
    drives in a much later load of the OS. That's how it is on the NF7-S.
    I don't know about the Asus and whether it incorporates the SATA support
    directly within the system BIOS or if it loads another but separate BIOS
    for separate SATA controller chips.

    If the SATA BIOS loads but it doesn't find the drives then you have a
    hardware problem at that point that loading drivers later won't fix.
    Can you take off the PATA-2-SATA converter and attach the IDE drive to
    an mobo IDE port to ensure the drive itself is okay? Is the SATA BIOS a
    separate BIOS from the system BIOS (i.e., it loads later)? If so, check
    that the system BIOS has the SATA controller enabled. Presumably you
    don't have anything else connected to the SATA ports (and which works);
    else, you would know the SATA port and SATA BIOS already work okay.

    *Vanguard*, Aug 6, 2004
  7. ZigZag Master

    Geoff Guest

    some of them are duff, make sure the drive is configured as master, try the
    hdrive on normal pata

    Geoff, Aug 6, 2004
  8. ZigZag Master

    Paul Guest

    Comments on Serillel adapter:
    http://secure.newegg.com/app/CustratingReview.asp?DEPA=0&item=13-999-402

    Comments on Rockethead adapter:
    http://secure.newegg.com/app/CustratingReview.asp?DEPA=0&item=22-999-111

    Yes, they can be flaky. Some of the original designs didn't
    give error free transmission. There are some combos of chipset
    and adapter known not to work.

    And SATA ports on motherboards do arrive DOA, as I read of someones
    efforts to get an ICH5R SATA to work, only to find one port was
    dead. So, that happens too.

    You can try the search terms "serillel" or "rockethead" over
    on abxzone. There is one thread just on converters, although it
    is a little weak on good info:

    http://www.abxzone.com/forums/search.php (search engine)
    http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50014

    With the WDC, it could be a jumpering problem. I would try the
    single master setting, if you haven't already.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Aug 6, 2004
  9. ZigZag Master

    rstlne Guest

    I dont think your listening, He can hear you, can you hear him!

    rstlne, Aug 6, 2004
  10. ZigZag Master

    rstlne Guest

    Drivers are NOT used until you load an operating system. Obvious. The
    yea but this isnt just the "BIOS" tho is it..

    rstlne, Aug 6, 2004
  11. ZigZag Master

    Testy Guest

    Can you hear him, now?

    Testy

    Testy, Aug 6, 2004
  12. Thanks Everyone,

    and Paul, I think you have given me the info I was looking for....

    The convertors that came with my Abit NF7-S must not work with the Asus K8V
    SE Deluxe SATA implementation.

    ZigZag Master, Aug 6, 2004
  13. ZigZag Master

    BUFF Guest

    Afaik the Serillel only works with Silicon Image controllers (I may be
    wrong).
    The K8VSe DeLuxe doesn't use SiL controllers > not seen?

    BUFF, Aug 6, 2004
  14. ZigZag Master

    *Vanguard* Guest

    NOTE: It isn't necessary nor even desired to include ALL of someone
    prior's post unless it is short (and I'm usually verbose), especially if
    you aren't going to refer to anything specific within it.

    The OP said, "I could not get the drive recognized by the BIOS." Mark
    then mentioned installing drivers. It was to Mark's post that I replied
    because drivers were irrelevant. The problem was occuring long before
    an OS got loaded under which the drivers would THEN load. Could be the
    system BIOS doesn't have the SATA ports enabled (which will then not
    load the SATA BIOS). Could be the SATA BIOS doesn't find any drives on
    its ports. Could be the PATA-to-SATA adapter doesn't work. Could be
    the PATA hard drive doesn't work. But the drive not showing as detected
    by the SATA BIOS scan is not a problem of SATA drivers loaded sometime
    later when the OS eventually gets loaded.

    *Vanguard*, Aug 7, 2004
  15. ZigZag Master

    FireFox Guest

    I don't know how much this might apply, but I'm using the adapters that
    came with the ic7-g on the intel chipset and it works with my western
    digital pata drive.

    FireFox, Aug 7, 2004
  16. ZigZag Master

    TomG Guest

    Mark, the bios does not need "drivers" to be able to see the drives. no OS
    is loaded at the bios level and drivers load at the OS level. a bios can
    either see the drives or not. if not, then power to the devices, cabling or
    the Serillel adapters are suspect. some SATA channels require the newer
    Serillel-2 adapters.

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified