Pavilion a1130n - BIOs Update Causing Hotter CPU?

Discussion in 'HP' started by psistormyamato, Jan 30, 2008.

  1. I just updated my BIOs from version 3.2 to version 3.47 using the BIOs
    update found on the HP website.
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=483902&os=228&lang=en

    Since then, I have noticed that my CPU is idling at about 62 degrees
    Celsius, while the fan spins at around 1800 rpms. It will do this
    while I am just sitting in BIOs, doing nothing else, looking at the
    hardware monitor screen.

    This doesn't seem normal to me. I believe that the CPU's idle temp
    used to be more like in the 40s.

    I looked at the MSI website and read the version histories on thier
    BIOs releases, since I figure that the MSI update would address the
    same issues as the HP updates, and I noticed that one of the later
    releases included support for the AMD "Cool 'n Quiet" functionality.
    http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=downloaddetail&type=bios&maincat_no=1&prod_no=167
    http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_9485_9487^10272,00.html

    Could the inclusion of this functionality have something to do with
    the change in heat that I am seeing?

    I asked HP tech support about it, and they said that an idle temp of
    62 Celsius was normal for this CPU, an AMD Athlon 64 3500+. But, if I
    had a choice about the matter; I would rather have a little more fan
    noise if it meant 20 degrees less of temperature!

    I wish I could live with the old BIOs, but there are to many resolved
    stability issues for me to be able to go back. So, it seems that I
    have to choose between stability or a hot CPU.

    Can anyone help to explain this issue or if there is anything that I
    can do to remedy this?

    psistormyamato, Jan 30, 2008

  2. psistormyamato

    Ben Myers Guest

    You might try SPEEDFAN, a 3rd party program to control the CPU cooling fan. But
    really, 62 C is pretty cool, not even hot enough to burn you. I would not give
    it too much thought... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jan 30, 2008

  3. psistormyamato

    admin Guest

    Not sure if I am doing this right I don't do forums, but I stumbled
    across this page because I wanted to share my experience because it's
    related. when i boot this pavilion I get an error that makes me hit f2
    each time else it shuts down on it's own. trying to eliminate doing
    it. thats how i found this page, but someone gave it to me and i just
    put ubuntu a version of linux on it. model 504 n.
    now what i found intresting is the temps you reported.
    this will be my largest cpu running ubuntu in our shop to date.
    not bad in size an intel 2.0 ghrtz, but the thing thats funny is the
    fact there is no cpu fan on it.
    i loaded the linux on it last night rebooted, it ran all night and the
    temp after reboot went up to 62 celcius after running ten min or so
    after this reboot. so this thing is running at same temp without a fan
    on the heatsink. i looked up conversion and yes 62 is low
    nice n cool
    i know this because in some bios' the lowest automatic shutoff setting
    is much much higher than this
    and the highest setting seemed incredibly high to me.
    burning hot
    so your good for i do watch temps on the machines we have and build
    here. thought i'd share
    plz excuse grammar, abbrev. and spelling.
    mike m.
    geem of the net

    admin, Feb 15, 2008