    because I have never purchased RAM before that failed testing? I usually
    buy either Crucial or PNY RAM, but Crucial did not list the HP a530n (just
    PC2100 RAM for apparently different HP 530n).

    David Efflandt, Jul 23, 2004

  2. David Efflandt

    Ben Myers Guest

    Sounds like defective memory to me. Try Memtest with only one of the new DDR
    DIMMs. Maybe only one is defective. Memtest does not lie... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jul 23, 2004

  3. The second (exchanged) 2 x 512 PC3200 DDR kit from Fry's did not work as
    well as the first, and one of those sticks will not boot alone or as a
    pair (black screen, not even CMOS setup). The other is recognized by BIOS
    as PC3200 with apparently correct memory timings, but both Memtest-86 and
    Memtest86+ show frequent errors in same 2 ranges (381 & 509 MB). Maybe I
    should just return it to Fry's, but I got an RMA from OCZ to see if they
    can come up with something compatible for the HP a530n.

    Note that the following HP site does not even list my model a530n:
    http://www.shopping.hp.com/shopping/html/popup/memory_compatibilty.html
    It does list a350n under PC3200, 530n & a530.it under PC2700, and a530.de
    under PC133, but none of those are specifically a530n.

    David Efflandt, Jul 26, 2004
  4. David Efflandt

    Ben Myers Guest

    "frequent errors in same 2 ranges (381 & 509 MB)". This system has on-board
    graphics? Maybe there is something in the motherboard BIOS setup re. the range
    of memory available for use by the graphics subsystem? If so, change the
    settings, and see what happens. If not, reset the motherboard CMOS (jumper
    setting or battery removal), and try again... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jul 26, 2004
  5. No on board graphics (it has Nvidia FX5200). As a point of reference I
    borrowed 2 x 256MB PC3200 DDR from my Dell PC at work (same Infineon brand
    as HP supplied). It tested flawlessly in 1 hr Memtest86+. I even bumped
    bus speed up 10% with a program called ClockGen (I have no BIOS speed
    settings). No problems with AMD64 3200+ bumped from 2000 to 2200 MHz and
    RAM bumped from 200 to 220 MHz (440), Sandra scores improved over 10%. I
    have never overclocked before (other than P180 MMX overdrive @ 200 MHz).
    So it must just be that the RAM from Fry's is fried.
    (snip)

    David Efflandt, Jul 27, 2004
  6. David Efflandt

    PoolisCool

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    2 Gigs and running great now for 6 years

    Now I know I will catch a bit of flac but here goes many many years ago I found that the
    Asus Diablo Flash rom worked just fine on my HP a530n so I flashed the rom and have
    never looked back. after a few years of running 1 gig of ram I upped it to 2 gigs because
    it was the thing to do. with the falling ram prices and all it was cheap too. Well here I am
    now several years later I found that the lame old HDD that HP sold with the system took
    a dump around 4 years into running the system but other wise the rest of this system is
    rock solid. I run 2 HDD's one is 750 gig and the other is 240 Gig. I only run XP these days
    under VMware because I perfer the 64 byte Linux Ubuntu operating system. But this system
    has hung right in there with me rock solid (other than that HDD problem) I do open it up from time to time to knock out the dust and such but other wise nothing never upgraded the case
    fan for the additional hdd and the same original CPU cooler on that AMD processor is going strong. When I bought my Ram I did get a matched set of the HP picky specific style it cost
    like 4 dollars more but come on man it has lasted for years now. The old mem I had sits in
    my wifes computer and we have never had a mem problem. So there you have it an Old system that just keeps on running great without a hitch. Will I trade it in one day probably
    but when I bought it it was one of the fastest out there, My next one will be the same.
    one last thing I did put in a Sound Card too.

    PoolisCool, Aug 7, 2009