Pavilion dv8000t Win XP Pro not working (HELP!)

Discussion in 'HP' started by curtmorrison, Apr 21, 2006.

  1. curtmorrison

    curtmorrison Guest

    I bought a Pavilion dv8000t notebook with Windows XP Home preinstalled.
    I tried to install my own Windows XP Professional SP1 but received an
    error during the intial install that the hard drive could not be found.
    HP support told me to disable SATA Native Support in the BIOS setup.
    Once this was done, the XP Pro installed correctly and the system
    worked fine. When I enable the SATA Native Support option, XP Pro fails
    to start, giving a -quick- blue screen and then a blank screen directly
    after the initial start page (prior to the splash screen and directly
    after the POST). If I disable the SATA Native Support option again,
    Windows XP Pro works fine. I have all of the latest drivers and BIOS
    installed. HP support doesn't know what the problem is and says I
    should wait for the next BIOS update. I can't understand why my Windows
    XP Pro doesn't work, when HP has an XP Pro version that does work. Any
    suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

    Thanks,
    Curt

    curtmorrison, Apr 21, 2006

  2. curtmorrison

    Ben Myers Guest

    Curt,

    I use SATA drives in native mode, you need to have a CD with SATA drivers.
    During the early phases of the XP Pro (or Home) install, you will be asked if
    you want to install other drivers. Say yes and insert the SATA driver CD. If
    your system has an Intel 900-series chipset, you will also have to install
    drivers for it, but this can be done after the basic install is complete.

    The Windows XP CD does not contain drivers for any chipsets or peripheral
    devices which were released after XP's release date. This is typical of any
    Windows version. And Micro$oft does not make it easy by slipstreaming newer
    drivers into the basic install CD... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Apr 21, 2006

  3. curtmorrison

    curtmorrison Guest

    Thanks Ben. Does anyone know where I can get the SATA drivers? HP
    refuses to help me here and I've already exhausted google attempting to
    search for it.

    - Curt

    curtmorrison, Apr 21, 2006
  4. curtmorrison

    Ben Myers Guest

    The SATA drivers are part of the motherboard chipset. If the chipset is
    Intel's, you can find what you need at the Intel web site... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Apr 22, 2006
  5. curtmorrison

    Ben Myers Guest

    BTW, as you've found out, HP on-line support is practically useless when it
    comes to software and drivers for computers. Compaq was 1000% better, but hey,
    that's what happens in a merger and with cost-cutting... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Apr 22, 2006
  6. curtmorrison

    curtmorrison Guest

    I couldn't agree with you more - depressing as hell.

    I found the Intel drivers that I need for the SATA, but am wondering...
    The drivers successfully installed after the initial XP Pro
    installation. Still, the system doesn't work when SATA native support
    is enabled. Would it make any difference to load the drivers (F6)
    during the initial install opposed to doing it afterwards?

    - Curt

    curtmorrison, Apr 22, 2006
  7. curtmorrison

    Marc Guest

    Ben Myers wrote:
    [snip]
    that's what happens in a merger and with cost-cutting...
    [snip]

    Didn't they call this merger (HP & Compaq) "a collision of two garbage trucks in
    slowmotion"? :)

    Marc

    Marc, Apr 22, 2006
  8. curtmorrison

    Ben Myers Guest

    I'd never heard that one before, but the imagery sure fits. Pity that the
    LaserJet, engine in one of the trucks, is getting damaged... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Apr 22, 2006
  9. curtmorrison

    Ben Myers Guest

    F6 during the initial install is the usual way to load essential drivers. Make
    sure you have the SATA and chipset drivers burned onto CD in an
    unpacked/unzipped format, which is what the F6 gambit requires.

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Apr 22, 2006
  10. curtmorrison

    femel Guest

    http://www.zd7000forums.com/

    If you don't know about the above forum, you might want to take a look, it
    does the dv8000 nd zd8000 along with the now defunct zd7000.

    femel, Apr 22, 2006
  11. curtmorrison

    Paul Guest

    I think you did it wrong. I would start over. Download the f6 floppy zip
    file from

    <http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scr...x?agr=Y&ProductID=1809&DwnldID=9030&lang=eng>

    and create the floppy. For the dv8000t (my computer) I bought a $25 sony
    usb floppy drive from newegg, and during the install use the f6 option
    to install the sata drivers. I've never heard of anyone using a CD
    during the XP install to load drivers, I don't think that's supported,
    just floppy.

    Paul, Apr 26, 2006
  12. curtmorrison

    greg850

    Joined:
    Aug 28, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    I have a fix for this that I have used . You need to download the driver from the hp web site , then its a .exe that will install its self to a floppy . Next you need to buy a external usb floppy drive . Now here is the werid part the driver only installs with me when the hard drive is blank ,if you have your old os installed it might not load . So what I did was put the drive in my desktop and deleted the partition .But you just press F6 as your installing windows and it will load the driver . Hp techs can't even speak decent english and know next to nothing about anything I asked them . I think they were reading what to do from a book .

    greg850, Aug 28, 2006
  13. curtmorrison

    bacchic

    Joined:
    Sep 22, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    I'm having the same problem with my dv6000

    After six hours with 5 different online 'technicians' I gave up and rang the support line where I was told that upgrading to XP Pro would invalidate my warranty even though HP, on their website, recommend it for this product.

    Although, if this is what their support is like, the warranty is probably useless anyway.

    Never again!

    bacchic, Sep 22, 2006