Pavilion laptop shuts down?

Discussion in 'HP' started by news.rcn.com, Feb 8, 2007.

  1. news.rcn.com

    news.rcn.com Guest

    I have a Pavilion N5415 which has started shutting down, increasingly
    quickly after start-up. It started with the unit doing this after about ten
    minutes use. Now it probably wouldn't even run a diagnostic boot disc (if
    one exists? Thinkpads used to be very good on diagnostics of every single
    part of the hardware from some special boot partition accessible from the
    BIOS start).

    It does it on battery or AC power, in XP, safe mode AND on Linux.

    Shutting down happens just after a click from the right hand far corner of
    the laptop which sounds to me like some kind of protection circuit cutting
    in or power supply giving out (or of course both if the former means the
    latter).

    Does anyone know:
    which one this is and?
    whether it is possible to dismantle the unit? and
    whether there are any instructions on line? and
    where to get a power supply, if that is what it is?

    There don't seem to be any internal parts on ebay (or am I looking in the
    wrong place?)

    news.rcn.com, Feb 8, 2007

  2. news.rcn.com

    Ben Myers Guest

    Spontaneous shutdowns are often a sign of some sort of heat problem in the
    computer. Start with a can of compressed air (from Staples, OfficeMax, Circuit
    City, Best Buy, etc), and, with the computer powered down, find the intake and
    exhaust vents for the air taken by the system cooling fan(s). Blast compressed
    air inside. If you see a puff of dusty air exiting from a vent, you may have
    nailed the problem.

    Some disassembly may be required to solve the problem. Someone else may be
    able to help you find a service manual for this model... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Feb 8, 2007

  3. news.rcn.com

    news.rcn.com Guest

    I did that with my Inspiron 8200 and had to take it apart to get the dust
    OUT as opposed to pushing it further in. I was wondering how you dismantle
    a Pavilion and whether there are instructions on line as this does seem to
    be some protection circuit kicking in.

    news.rcn.com, Feb 8, 2007