    mc Guest

    Does anyone know if my PB 600 mb can handle a 233 cpu?
    mc

    mc, Jan 24, 2010

  2. Hi mc !

    Depends. I don't know what motherboard you have, but if it has a voltage
    regulator that supports MMX CPU's, it (probably) will. You have to have dual
    voltage support to handle a 233MHz CPU, 'cause they are all dual voltage,
    and MMX. The core voltage of 2.8V is less than the normal unified voltage of
    a 3.3V Pentium CPU.

    Then you are going to need to increase your clock multiplier to 3.5 X 66MHz
    FSB speed.

    Your motherboard may not do that either. Some PB motherboards have an
    undocumented 3.5 clock multiplier, some do not. Fortunately, if you have
    dual voltage capability, you probably have that feature also. I forget where
    to put the jumpers, but it's easy to find.

    Of course, you will need BIOS support also. :)

    OR....

    You can install some type of "upgrade" CPU, which will have a voltage
    regulator built in. You will still need to adjust your FSB speed to 66MHz to
    get the best performance. The Intel Overdrive CPU stops at 200MHz, and is a
    real nice drop in mod, but others, from Evergreen for example, go "up to"
    400MHz.

    OR....

    You can find a motherboard that does everything listed above, and swap the
    thing out if yours doesn't support your 233MHz CPU. Plenty usually available
    on eBay. For that matter, a MMX PB usually shows up frequently, then you can
    just swap out the whole thing. :)

    --
    bobwatts

    Watts Carburetion Service
    WhizzBang Computers
    " collector of Asian transfat plastic trinkets ! "
    EartH // KlaXXoN

    Robert E. Watts, Jan 25, 2010

  3. mc

    Ben Myers Guest

    Let me add that the motherboard jumper setting for 3.5 x 66MHz is the
    same as 1.5 x 66MHz (100MHz). AFAIK, this is true for any and all
    Socket 5/7 motherboards. The Intel Socket 5-or-7 Pentium CPUs, classic
    and MMX alike, have only two CLKMUL pins to set the clock multiplier.
    The original settings were 1.5, 2.0, 2.5 and 3.0. Along came the 233Mhz
    3.5 setting, and Intel had to re-use the 1.5 setting for compatibility
    reasons.

    Some Pentium motherboards have a socket for a separate tiny voltage
    regulator board. I once had a bunch of these that could step the CPU
    voltage all the way down to 2.2v via jumper settings. I still may have
    a few... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jan 25, 2010
  4. mc

    mc Guest

    Thanks for the info Bob, I have a J28 jumper on this board that says
    VR 3.3V or VRE 3.45-3.6V. Will this be enough?
    I also have J30 for cpu clock freq A, 60/66MHz or 50Mhz and J31 for
    cpu clock freq B, 66MHz or 50/60 Mhz. I don't really understand how to
    set these (if they will work with a 233). I am not familiar with
    Evergreen, are these cpus still available? If so I could use 4 of
    them. Or take your suggestion and get some other motherboards
    mc

    mc, Jan 26, 2010
  5. mc

    mc Guest

    Hello Ben,
    I see I missed a couple MBs you posted here in the last several
    months, I would have contacted you on those but I've just completed 6
    months of chemo (not my best year in 2009). So do you think a 233
    might work? I don't have any yet but my attempt is to get the
    computers to work with a network printer that will not install drivers
    unless it sees a minimum of a 233 cpu..
    mc

    mc, Jan 26, 2010
  6. mc

    Ben Myers Guest

    From the description you gave to Bob Watts about the voltage jumpers, I
    think that installing a 233MHz Pentium MMX is risky. Some people have
    reported success with the voltage jumper at the lowest setting, but that
    would still run the CPU at a voltage over 10% above its operating range,
    a recipe for burnout.

    Let me look in my box of curios and oddities to see if I have an
    Evergreen or similar CPU 200MHz or faster. Or maybe even a couple of
    them. I may still have a couple... Ben

    Ben Myers, Jan 26, 2010
  7. mc

    mc Guest

    Thanks for looking Ben, let me know if you find anything..
    mc

    mc, Jan 27, 2010