    Second advice from PB: reinstall XP from Recovery CD - did not help

    Anybody familiar with this problem and/or has anybody a solution?

    Thanks in advance!

    L1, Feb 13, 2007

  2. L1

    Elector Guest

    When this sort of error occurs it can possibly be a bad hard disk or sectors
    on the hard disk. You could try to do a full format and restore and place
    the Windows XP back on. If the MBR is corrupt either from a bad boot up or a
    virus, yes they do happen. You can again fdisk and format and then place the
    OS back on the computer.

    Did you happen to try another fresh hard drive to see if the error still
    occurs? If it does not then my guess is the hard drive has failed and needs
    to be replaced. But try the suggestions I gave above first. It may help.

    Secondly, I always buy a second HD and transfer all my contents from the
    working hard drive to this other new drive.
    In the case of HD failure it has kept me up and running. However this method
    simply places the system back to original specs. You will lose any programs
    and files etc. that were on the bad HD, but those files were kaput anyway.
    So it is not really a big loss.

    I hope I helped?

    Elector

    Elector, Feb 14, 2007

  3. L1

    metronid Guest

    Errors can be caused by so many different things
    Bad hard drive is one of the main culprits
    Have you run a Hard drive test to see if there is a problem
    Max blast will work on any HD

    Setting back the system restor to a working time will fix the problem
    if it is registry correlated

    Restore CD/DVD have some pitfalls
    Some just overwrite and leave offending folders or files in place
    There are many restore systems out there
    Unless it formats each partition and restores them it can not be
    relied on to fix all
    problems

    You have tried registry Mechanic

    Is this sysyem stock
    Nothing added
    HW or Software
    I mean anything added printer usb wifi adapter

    I is usually the known thing that
    you have forgotten or left out

    metronid, Feb 20, 2007