PC Chips M811LU V3.1 and Syntax SV266AD

Discussion in 'ECS' started by tcsenter, May 15, 2005.

  1. tcsenter

    tcsenter Guest

    Calling anyone and everyone who may have one or more systems built
    using the PC Chips M811LU V3.1 or Syntax SV266AD.

    I've used several of these boards for budget systems, but a few days
    ago I discovered a potential bug, flaw, defect, or whatever you want to
    call it, affecting both the PC Chips branded and Syntax branded
    motherboards (they are the same board). This board is also sold as
    Shuttle AK32VN, and I found a discussion on VIA Arena Forums from
    January detailing the exact same problem affecting the Shuttle AK32VN.

    The VIA VT8235 South Bridge supports up to ATA/133 (Ultra DMA Mode 6).
    In every one of my systems, the IDE/ATA transfer mode is limited to
    Ultra DMA Mode 4 (ATA/66) when an ATA/100 or ATA/133 hard drive is
    attached to the system. When an ATAPI optical drive supporting ATA/33
    or higher is attached, whether CD or DVD drive, the IDE/ATA transfer
    mode is limited to Ultra DMA Mode 1 (ATA/25). The transfer mode is
    reported in Device Properties through Device Manager > IDE ATA/ATAPI
    Controllers > Primary or Secondary IDE Channel > Advanced Settings >
    Current Transfer Mode.

    This is with Windows XP Home, either with SP1 or SP2 integrated, using
    the latest BIOS from PC Chips and Syntax, and all the latest device
    drivers including the latest Hyperion. The hard drive and optical
    drives are on different channels, each being the master with no other
    drive as slave.

    I have tested multiple hard drives; Seagate and WDC 80GB ATA/100, WDC
    120GB ATA/100, Maxtor 80GB ATA/133. I have tested different optical
    drives; Optorite 52x CDRW, BTC 8x DVD writer, and BenQ CDRW + DVD-ROM
    combo drive. I have tested different Ultra ATA compliant IDE cables,
    all of which are not longer than 18". I have tried shielded round
    ATA/100 IDE cables. All hardware including the cables work A-OK with
    other make and model motherboards at the highest supported modes.

    All drives are reporting the correct mode and capacity at POST. PIO
    and Ultra DMA is set to "Auto" for all drives in BIOS. HDTach 3 tests
    confirm the HDDs are operating in ATA/66 instead of ATA/100 or ATA/133.
    I've even swapped-in a couple brand new ATX12V power supplies with
    output specs far exceeding total system demands, just to leave no stone
    unturned.

    Installing the latest VIA IDE BM Accelerator Drivers results in all
    drives operating in the correct modes, but using this driver I
    experience numerous "Delayed Write Fail" errors and "error detected on
    device \Device\Harddisk0 during a paging operation" related to the hard
    drive (in all systems with all hard drives). What's more, effective
    hard disk performance actually DECREASES when the drives are operating
    at the higher modes, which is consistent with the numerous IDE and disk
    errors I'm getting.

    If you have one of these boards, I would appreciate if you could take a
    peak at what transfer mode the system is reporting through Device
    Manager > IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers > Primary or Secondary IDE Channel
    > Advanced Settings > Current Transfer Mode.

    I have opened a support ticket with PC Chips and Syntax detailing this
    but have not received a reply. Its only been two days, I'll give them
    until Wednesday or Thursday before I start making angry phone calls.
    :p

    tcsenter, May 15, 2005

  2. tcsenter

    chaos2ndz Guest

    Update your bios with the Elitegroup...ECS K7VTA3 (6) bios and
    drivers...they appear to be an identical motherboard but have updates
    as well as a quicker fsb and processor upgrade (Semptron) ability. I
    did this as well with my sv266ad and it's running rather well under
    this new setting and the dma mode has changed from 4 to 5.

    chaos2ndz, Aug 28, 2005

  3. tcsenter

    tcsenter Guest

    >>Update your bios with the Elitegroup...ECS K7VTA3 (6) bios and
    drivers...they appear to be an identical motherboard but have updates
    as well as a quicker fsb and processor upgrade (Semptron) ability.<<

    In fact, ECS K7VTA3 6.0 and 8.0 PCB are functionally identical, and
    probably use the same BIOS. ECS K7VTA2 Pro 3.1, K7VTA3 6.0/8.0, and
    L7VTA2, PC Chips M811 3.1 and M852, Shuttle AK32VN 3.1, and Syntax
    SV266AD all use identical PCB layouts.

    I have a K7VTA3 6.0 here and it has different SMC resistors (more of
    them and different values) along the IDE port traces than M811 3.1,
    which I suspect were to correct the very problem in question. I'm not
    sure a BIOS update could adequately solve a problem that is most likely
    a PCB design flaw, but after all the time I've spent on this, I'm not
    going to put another dozen hours into testing to make sure the IDE
    subsystem is 100% stable with a different BIOS. Thanks, anyway, for
    your post.

    BTW, the latest BIOS for M811 3.1, which also works on SV266AD and
    AK32VN, adds support for Sempron, albiet @ 266MHz FSB. Probably even
    the same BIOS as K7VTA3 6.0 and 8.0.

    Regards,

    Tim