PC crashing after installing additional RAM

Discussion in 'Asus' started by domenm, Nov 14, 2007.

  1. domenm

    domenm Guest

    Hi,

    ok, I finally gave up (almost :)). You are my last hope to solve my
    problem.
    I know this has been asked and answered many times here, and I read
    all the posts, tried all the hints, but ...

    Here are the details:
    - I have ASUS motherboard A7V600-x, VIA KT400(A)/600 chipset with 1
    RAM module (Kingston 512MG, PC2300 DDR400). This worked fine for 3
    years now.
    - bought new RAM module, same speed, same type, same manufacturer,
    etc. After installing this into my comp, the story become interested.
    I use Win XP and after working for some time (15-20 min), the PC is
    simply restarted. Definitely I blame additional RAM, because
    everything worked fine before.
    - tried some hints like:
    - test with only new RAM module ==> OK
    - put 1 module to slot 1, the other into slot 3 ==>NOK
    - rotate the modules ==> NOK
    - upgrade BIOS with the latest version ==> NOK

    I really need an advice - what else I can do? I haven't play with
    voltage settings yet, but I don't know how to do it, and I'm not sure
    it will help at all. Is anybody else experiencing the same problems?

    Thanks in advance.
    BR
    D.M

    domenm, Nov 14, 2007

  2. domenm

    domenm Guest

    Yeah, I forgot this:
    I also performed a RAM test with MemTest-86 which found no errors. But
    crashes are still here :( .

    BR.

    domenm, Nov 14, 2007

  3. domenm

    Cub Guest

    So what about testing with only the origianl ram module in , in the original
    slot ?

    ** Keep away from voltage settings**

    Cub, Nov 14, 2007
  4. domenm

    domenm Guest

    I have done that also, just to be sure. As I said the system worked
    fine for 3 years with 1 mem stick.

    Thanx.
    BR

    domenm, Nov 14, 2007
  5. : I really need an advice - what else I can do? I haven't play with
    : voltage settings yet, but I don't know how to do it, and I'm not sure
    : it will help at all. Is anybody else experiencing the same problems?

    Are your Kingston's on your motherboard's QVL for all 4 slots? Do you
    have the voltage set to what Kingston specifies for the sticks? Are
    you overclocking?

    At the end of the day be prepared for it never working. Sometimes
    running with all 4 slots populated is just a bridge too far.

    Howard Goldstein, Nov 14, 2007
  6. gebruikte zijn klavier om te schrijven :
    You could try to clean the old module. Dust particles are known to
    cause very different problems.
    This week I had some problems with my 3 year old system, it did not
    want to boot (even POST did not show up).
    Cleaned the mem modules, and now all is fine.

    André

    André, PE1PQX, Nov 14, 2007
  7. domenm

    domenm Guest

    OK, MTB only has 3 DDR slots. Where I can set the voltage? I looked in
    BIOS, but it's nothing there.
    And no, I'm not overclocking.

    domenm, Nov 14, 2007
  8. domenm

    Cub Guest

    I guess you might have BUT when you put the original stick in did the system
    behave again ?, the result is not listed is you post

    Cub, Nov 14, 2007
  9. domenm

    RobV Guest

    The QVL (Qualified Vendor List) for memory for that MB lists three
    acceptable Kingston memory modules. There are other qualifiers as to
    which memory can be installed in one or two slots. It's very picky as
    to module type and brand of chips used. Suggest you read the QVL
    available here:
    http://usa.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=0&l3=0&modelmenu=0&share=txt/60

    Near the bottom of the page. Click on A7V600 and you'll get a download
    prompt (or open) for the info, which is in PDF (Adobe Reader) format (~
    200KB).

    RobV, Nov 14, 2007
  10. domenm

    DaveW Guest

    Well, from your tests, I believe that you can deduce that it's probable that
    the 2nd RAM slot on the motherboard may have failed, since either RAM stick
    works individually fine in the first slot.

    DaveW, Nov 14, 2007
  11. domenm

    SumGuy Guest

    Have you tried the new RAM by itself in the comp?

    SumGuy, Nov 15, 2007
  12. - bought new RAM module, same speed, same type, same manufacturer,
    Power supply?

    --
    @[email protected] Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 7.04) Linux 2.6.23.1

    Man-wai Chang ToDie, Nov 15, 2007
  13. domenm

    domenm Guest

    I thought of that also, so I disconnected CD drive from power to
    reduce consumption, but no progress.
    Thanks anyway.

    domenm, Nov 15, 2007
  14. domenm

    BigJim Guest

    I don't care what mem test reported you ram chip is bad

    BigJim, Nov 15, 2007
  15. domenm

    Venom Guest

    No it isn't. If you wish to install two seperate sticks of ram in any A7V600
    or 600-X they must be single sided sticks of ram and be identical in every
    way. The A7V600 series was an arsehole of a board as far as ram goes. There
    is no dual channel on those boards either.
    Probably if you look carefully at your ram you will see that the brand of
    the chipsets are different.
    As an example I have 3X1GB sticks of TwinMOS DDR400 ram bought at different
    times. The oldest stick has TwinMOS chips, the middle aged stick has Mtec
    chips and the newest stick has Hynix chipsets. Any two sticks will play
    together nicely but never in dual channel mode simply because the chipsets
    are different.

    Venom, Nov 16, 2007
  16. domenm

    w_tom Guest

    First, memory must be rated for what motherboard supplies. If memory
    provider defined that SIMM for your motherboard, then voltage should
    be correct.

    Second, dust or contact corrosion only creates problems in myths. A
    good connector is self cleaning when connections are made. When
    corrosion creates a problem, then the hardware is so defective that
    even a slightly inferior connector creates problems.

    Third, your suspects are power supply voltages, memory chip, and
    interconnecting motherboard hardware. (This assumes you used the
    exact type chip recommended by the memory company since some companies
    such as Gateway would play games with memory, maybe to blame you for
    not buying memory from them).

    From that suspect list, the power supply can only be confirmed with
    computer fully loaded and executing (multitasking) all peripherals
    when a meter measures voltages. Most important for you are those
    voltages on any one yellow, red, and orange wire from power supply.
    Voltage must exceed 3.23, 4.87, and 11.7 volts.

    Moving on, the other suspects can be identified by MemTst86 either
    at room temperature or at normal high room temperatures - 100 degree
    F. The best Memtst86 report comes from hotter temperatures. If
    necessary, use a hairdryer as hot as possible to heat SIMM and
    adjacent motherboard peripheral chips during that test.

    Chances are the memory is defective which will only be apparent in
    Memtst86 during higher temperatures. However, it is possible to have
    a motherboard defective that is only made apparently by the larger
    memory size. Sorry, I have no simple way of identifying that problem
    other than putting the memory in another computer to execute same
    elevated temperature Memtst86 test.

    w_tom, Nov 17, 2007
  17. domenm

    Fred Guest

    Do you have the latest BIOS installed?

    Fred, Nov 17, 2007
  18. domenm

    wdgeddes Guest

    I had exactly the same problem. I have two 1 gig RAM modules and they
    work fine. When I had 2 more 1 Gig RAM modules the system starts to
    crash and often won't even boot up properly. I think the module(s)
    are defective, at least that is what a repair technician thinks. I
    still have those modules, they are made by Corsair. Someone said they
    have a lifetime warranty and that I could return them to the mfr, but
    I have not pursued that yet.

    They also fail to boot when I remove the original modules and install
    the Corsair ones in their place.

    wdgeddes, Feb 17, 2008
  19. domenm

    NotGonnaTell Guest

    Don't know if it has anything to do with it but i would guess
    that the timings of the memory you got are not the same as the one
    you had.

    Recently, i bought 2 more 1 GB Corsair memory modules for my PC,
    like the ones i had, with the exception of the timings: the original
    were CL5 and the newer ones were CL4. Everything worked fine, for a
    while (a few days), and then i started having crash after crash
    after crash. I thought i had a problem with windows so i tried to
    repair it but it started to crash there as well. That got me pissed,
    so i formated the drive. Started a fresh install and it was going OK
    until ... just after it had finished installing, it started crashing
    again so i thought it might have something to do with my hardware.
    After LOTS of wasted time trying to find the hardware problem i
    tried to do a fresh install with the original memory only and it
    worked fine. Tried putting the memory in the other 2 slots to see if
    the problem was with the board and that too worked fine and that
    meant i could, finally, reach a conclusion: the newer memory was
    faulty ... until, just to double check, i tried the newer memory
    instead of the old one and ... it worked too. WTF???? Tried changing
    the slots of the newer memory and it worked as well.

    Long story short, as far as i can tell, all 4 DIMMs work well:
    just not all 4 the same time. It could be you have a similar
    problem: have you checked to be sure that all your memory have the
    same timings?

    Hope this can help shed some light into the problem, HTC

    NotGonnaTell, Feb 17, 2008
  20. domenm

    Arno Wagner Guest

    Previously wrote:

    A 4 module configuration is far les forgiving than a two module
    configuration. This can lead to the described configuration.
    That is a sign that the modules are either defect or incompatible
    with the mainboard. re they loisted in the certified memory
    modules list for that board? The problem is, that if they are
    incompatible, no number of warranty replacements will
    fix the problem.

    Arno

    Arno Wagner, Feb 17, 2008