PC fails to boot after K8N SLI Platinum BIOS flash

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Pete, Aug 22, 2005.

  1. Pete

    Pete Guest

    I've killed my PC which has an MSI K8N SLI Platinum Mobo
    Used the live update to flash the BIOS (v3.6 I think). Flash seemed to work
    ok, but all is not well.
    PC will boot to BIOS and I can change the BIOS parameters if necessary.
    But after that, screen goes blank, and Windows won't start.
    There is a blue screen which appears for a fraction of a second with some
    text on
    which reads "A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to
    prevent damage to your computer.If this is the first time you've seen this
    Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again,
    follow these steps:
    Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives
    or hard drive controllers, check your hard drive to make sure it is properly
    configured and terminated."
    So it appears to be trying to boot XP but it dies v. quickly
    The Hard Disk is a SATA one and SATA appears to be enabled in the BIOS.
    Tried rescuing it with the BIOS recovery disk that I created during the
    flash process, but it made no
    difference.
    Also tried clearing the CMOS, and then saving the "Optimised CMOS settings"
    from within the BIOS. Still no joy.
    Finally tried booting from the XP CD and use the recovery stuff. When the CD
    asks if C:\WINDOWS is the
    correct one to repair, and I confirm, it dies. Sounds like as soon as any
    I/O to disk is attempted, system just dies.
    So where do I go from here?
    Help please. I'm at a loss.

    Pete, Aug 22, 2005

  2. Pete

    John Russell Guest

    If it's getting to the point you see a windows error screen it means your PC
    can boot to DOS. Use some elses PC to make a DOS boot floppy, and get them
    to download the previous bios and extract that to another floppy.
    Use these on your PC to flash back to the old bios.

    John Russell, Aug 22, 2005

  3. Pete

    Pete Guest

    I have the original BIOS and flash program on a floppy. This was created
    when as part of the live update procedure.
    I tried using this floppy with the original BIOS and it hasn't cured the
    problem :-(

    Pete

    Pete, Aug 23, 2005
  4. Pete

    Derek Baker Guest

    Have you followed the appropriate BIOS recovery procedure?

    http://www.msi.com.tw/html/support/bios/note/boot.htm

    Derek Baker, Aug 23, 2005
  5. Pete

    Kevin Guest

    What you're seeing is a Windows Stop error, and you need that error
    information to proceed further. It'll be in the technical information
    section and will look something like this...

    UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME
    Stop 0x0000007B....

    Of course your error will likely be different.

    Can you get to Safe Mode in Windows? If so, open System Properties
    and on the Advanced tab, under Startup and Recovery, uncheck
    "Automatically restart". That may allow the system to hang on the
    stop error screen so you can get that info.

    If you can't get to Safe Mode, but you have Service Pack 2 for Windows
    XP, use F8 to get to the Advanced Startup Options Menu. It also has
    an option to disable auto-restart on system failure.

    If you can get that error, post it here.

    Kevin

    Kevin, Aug 24, 2005
  6. Pete

    DaveL Guest

    Kevin has some good advice but since the problem started with the flash I
    think this is a bios setting problem. Did you write down all the bios
    settings prior to flashing? It could be that the flash procedure has reset
    something that you might need to boot Windows, like a the APIC setting has
    changed. Or maybe something like a hard drive or memory parameter.

    DaveL

    DaveL, Aug 24, 2005
  7. Pete

    Pete Guest

    Thanks for the reply.
    Where would I find the Technical Info section?
    I can't get into Windows at all including safe mode.
    I will try that, but I don't think it's even able to get any way into
    Windows for F8 to have any effect.
    I tried booting from CD to see if I could get into the Windows recovery
    procedure. As soon as I tell it I want to repair the Windows installation
    in C:\Windows, it crashes.

    MSI have replied saying that my boot sector is corrupt. So I need to find
    a boot floppy which can re-writr the MBR.

    If this is indeed the problem, not overly impressed at Live Updates attempt to
    flash the Mobo BIOS - causing Hard disk corruption.

    Pete

    Pete, Aug 25, 2005
  8. Pete

    Pete Guest

    Hi Dave,

    To be honest, I didn't write down the parameters before flashing. I've gone
    through them and they do look sensible although I may have missed something.
    APIC? Peripheral Control?

    If someone has a SATA HDD, could they post there SATA related BIOS settings
    please?

    Pete

    Pete, Aug 25, 2005
  9. Pete

    DaveL Guest

    APIC stands for Advance Programmable Interupt Control. Enabling this gives
    more interupts than the usual 16. Some of the newer boards have this
    permanently on so there is no option to disable it in bios. If this setting
    were changed it would render the OS unbootable. A repair install would
    usually fix it. This may be what you will need to do but look for the
    option in bios first.

    DaveL

    DaveL, Aug 25, 2005
  10. Pete

    Kevin Guest

    The technical information is on that blue screen that disappears too
    fast to read.

    Regarding the recovery, I just want to make sure you're trying to get
    to the Recovery Console, rather than running a repair install.

    When you are booting to CD, are you loading the SATA drivers when the
    screen says "Press F6 to load 3rd party SCSI or RAID drivers"? That
    statement also applies to SATA, and Recovery Console won't correctly
    see the drive without those drivers. You need to have them on a
    floppy.

    Have you tried unplugging all external devices, save for the mouse,
    keyboard, and monitor?

    I wouldn't try to rewrite the MBR with a boot floppy, especially if
    it's an NTFS partition. You could try downloading the program that
    creates the 6 Windows XP boot floppies:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310994

    Choose the set that matches your version/service pack level of XP.
    Those disks just duplicate the function of the CD, so you may end up
    with the same result.

    If you do get to Recovery Console, I would do the following, in this
    order:

    CHKDSK /P
    CHKDSK /R (if /P says there are errors)
    Try rebooting after this

    As a last resort the FIXMBR command will rewrite the MBR, but keep in
    mind that it might hose the partition(s).

    If you don't have data concerns, you might be better off to cut your
    losses, wipe the drive, and reload the O/S.

    Kevin, Aug 26, 2005
  11. Pete

    Pete Guest

    I managed to get the info..... by videoing it and playing back in slow motion
    "A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent
    damage to your computer.

    If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your
    computer. If this screen appears again, follow these stes:

    Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or
    hard drive controllers, check your hard drive to make sure it is properly
    configured and terminated."

    That's it... nothing too interesting.
    Ummm, good question. Pretty sure I did select the recovery console
    option - would need to go back and verify this.
    No. I have not loaded any drivers. If indeed they are needed, then this
    will be the problem. I thought that SATA drives didn't need any drivers -
    but I could be very wrong. Certainly didn't need to install any to install
    XP originally.
    I did - it had no effect.
    I will try this. I have been hesitant all along about re-writing the MBR
    as it could go horribly wrong.
    I have managed to recover the data :)
    I was saved by Linux. Using Knoppix (bootable Linux on a CD), it was
    able to access the Hard disk. To me, this points to the fact that there
    is a problem with either the MBR or the Windows boot sector.
    Now I have my data (using a USB pen drive to transfer it - painful),
    I can try a few more risky things! If the worst comes to the worst, re-install
    here we come.

    Kevin - many thanks for the time you have spent. I'll post back and
    let you know how I get on.

    Now all I have to do is ask MSI when they are going to fix there broken
    utility. Until then, I would recommend everyone avoids using it. I imagine
    the DOS version is safer.
    I still can't believe they basically wiped their hands of the problem and
    said I should contact Microsoft if I have a corrupt MBR.
    Marvelous. It's left a bit of a sore taste in my mouth, especially seeing as
    the board will have to go back to the them to get the SLI issue (won't support
    a 2nd Nvidia 7800) resolved.

    Thanks

    Peter

    Pete, Aug 26, 2005
  12. Pete

    Kevin Guest

    There should be more into than that on the blue screen. The following
    link will illustrate what a Stop error looks like...

    http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/kkehoe/misc/stop.jpg

    The relevant information you would need on this screen is the
    PFN_LIST_CORRUPT message and the Stop 0x0000004E error.

    From your error text, I think you're probably getting a Stop
    0x0000007B, INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error. That means you're not
    seeing the hard drive correctly, which makes sense.

    Have a look at the following Microsoft article and see what you think:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314859

    It talks about getting this error after upgrading the BIOS of a SCSI
    controller. I would think it would apply to SATA controllers as well,
    and if your controller is onboard, by updating the mobo BIOS you may
    have updated that controller as well.

    That may not be the issue, but it's worth a look.

    I agree about flashing a BIOS via any other method than the "old
    fashioned" way. :)

    Kevin

    Kevin, Aug 26, 2005
  13. Pete

    Pete Guest

    Perhaps i just couldn't see the whole stop message seeing as I had to video
    it and advance frame at a time
    just to see it. It really was only on the screen for a fraction of a
    second.
    It could be this.
    I decided that seeing as i could get my data off (using Linux), then I'd
    take your earlier advice
    and cut my losses. re-format and re-install.

    Guess what... won't be using LiveUpdate again.

    Thanks all for the advice.

    Pete

    Pete, Aug 27, 2005
  14. Pete

    lee Guest

    I have a K8N neo4 platinum board and mine comes up with the dreaded blue
    screen....
    It is about a 2 months old and i cant remember exactly when it started
    playing up but it was after updating the Bios. Some times it runs fine for
    days then will go crazy and reboot several times in a day.
    Im not sure wether to wait for a new update or take it in to manufacturer to
    check it.
    It is so tempermental..........................
    ****

    lee, Sep 1, 2005