PC had trouble booting, now freezes every time

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Tim, Nov 30, 2004.

  1. Tim

    Tim Guest

    Hi

    I'm out of ideas on this one so I hope someone can help. For a couple
    of weeks now I've had trouble booting my PC. I've had to reset it one
    or two times to get it to boot (it would start to load Windows and
    give up after a few seconds). Yesterday I had to reset about five
    times but it eventually loaded Windows (XP Pro SP2).

    Now the PC refuses to boot to Windows and no amount of restarts will
    help. If I try to start in safe mode it always freezes at
    "\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\gagp30kx.sys". I have stripped the hardware
    down to the bare minimum but it makes no difference. I've flashed the
    latest BIOS into my motherboard (a PC Chips M848A). I've swapped the
    AGP card for a PCI card but no difference. I tried installing Linux
    (Mandrake 9.1). The install worked but it too locks up at every boot.

    Does this mean that there's something wrong with my motherboard? The
    other stuff installed is 512MB of ECC DDR RAM and an Athlon XP 2400+.
    I hope I don't have to try and convince the people who sold the
    motherboard that there is a problem. I'm sure that would be lots of
    'fun'.

    TIA for any help you can offer.

    Tim

    Tim, Nov 30, 2004

  2. Tim

    Bob Horvath Guest

    On 30 Nov 2004 14:10:22 -0800, Bob Horvath wrote:

    Hi,
    I had VERY similar problems, and after pulling my hair out over
    trying everything under the sun, it turned out to be that my five year
    old mother board had those bad capacitors that I read about on the
    internet. If you look at the MB, check the capacitors. Most of mine
    were swollen on the top, and some even had the dielectric seeping out
    of the top of them.
    Bob

    Bob Horvath, Dec 1, 2004

  3. Tim

    Tim Sampson Guest

    I forgot to mention that the XP installation disk won't even run. It
    locks at "Starting Windows".

    Tim

    Tim Sampson, Dec 1, 2004
  4. Tim

    Tim Sampson Guest

    I'm certainly leaning towards a hardware problem. I pulled my hard disk
    and tried it in a friend's PC. At first it wouldn't boot but I did a
    repair install and it booted to Windows. I put the hard disk back in my
    computer and it locked at the same point.

    Thanks for your help, I'll take a look at the capacitors tonight
    (although my board is only a couple of months old).

    Tim

    Tim Sampson, Dec 1, 2004
  5. Tim

    Chris Hill Guest

    Look at the voltages, you should be able to do this in the bios If
    the 5v is showing less than about 4.85, get a decent power supply.

    Chris Hill, Dec 1, 2004
  6. Tim

    Bob Horvath Guest

    On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 10:27:13 +0000, Bob Horvath wrote:

    I didn't know the age of your board. From what i gather, the caps were
    in older boards.

    Bob Horvath, Dec 1, 2004
  7. Tim

    Tim Sampson Guest

    BIOS only shows core voltage, etc, not the other voltages. However, I
    used a multimeter which said 5.01.

    Cheers
    Tim

    Tim Sampson, Dec 3, 2004
  8. Tim

    Chris Hill Guest

    Time to grab memtest86, then. Ram is fairly easy to test with this
    program. Sounds like ram, vid card, mb or cpu. Sorry to give you the
    fun news, but there isn't any easy way to solve it , it is down to the
    process of elimination.

    Chris Hill, Dec 5, 2004
  9. Tim

    Tim Sampson Guest

    I've been down the route of swapping every component in and out of a
    similar computer - different RAM, different CPU, different PSU,
    different copy of Windows.

    I'm sending the motherboard back today as it's the only common factor.

    Cheers
    Tim

    Tim Sampson, Dec 9, 2004
  10. Tim

    Chris Hill Guest

    At least you can still type, I think I'd be pounding the hell out of
    something in frustration. I did this a couple of years ago, assuming
    it couldn't possibly be the video card; bad assumption.

    Chris Hill, Dec 9, 2004
  11. Tim

    Tim Sampson Guest

    Well, that's another story... The only reason I changed the motherboard
    in the first place was because the keyboard and mouse stopped working on
    the old one. I've gone back to the old one for now but with a USB
    keyboard/mouse converter but every now and again it locks
    upppppppppppppppppppppp and has to be disconnected/reconnected.

    Very annoying but I try to keep calm!

    Cheers
    Tim

    Tim Sampson, Dec 10, 2004
  12. Tim

    Mentalboy Guest

    Hello,

    I had the exact same problem as you and after installing the latest athlon
    64 drivers from AMD, my pc was fine! Hope this helps!

    Mentalboy, Jan 29, 2005