    fans come on and go off after 1 second).

    What could be wrong? Faulty switch? Power supply finished?
    Motherboard/CPU fried?

    Nick, Apr 24, 2006

  2. Not likely to be a switch problem. PS would be my first guess, followed
    by a peripherial card problem, then the MB.

    Pull all the cards except the video card and see if you get any messages
    from the POST.

    Travis Jordan, Apr 25, 2006

  3. Nick

    Nick Guest

    Just tried a few things one of which gives a clue.

    If I unplug the ATX12v power voltage (I think this goes to the cpu) and
    then switch on, the power and fans stay on although the pc does not
    boot up for obvious reasons.

    So it could be something to do with the cpu (heatsink, fan, power
    supply, processor)?

    Nick, Apr 25, 2006
  4. Yes, any of the above...even a shorted capacitor on the MB could cause
    this.

    Start by substituting a different PS - you can buy one for $20 or so at
    newegg.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&description=&srchInDesc=&minPrice=&maxPrice=

    Travis Jordan, Apr 25, 2006