PC Rebuild advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JJ, Jul 9, 2003.

  1. JJ

    JJ Guest

    I'm in the research phase of (re)building my PC. I will get probably a
    2400+ processor and 512 ddr and ect. I'm basically only doing this so
    I can play Half Life 2.

    questions:

    My budget is $50-$75 wich video card should I get? I'm looking at ATI
    Radeon 9000-4x/9200-8x or GeForce fx5200-8x/Geforce4 MX440 (all 128
    mb).

    Is it better to get a faster 4xagp card or a slower 8xagp card (keep
    in mind it'll cost an extra $20 for a mother board with 8x
    capability)?

    I'm replaceing all of the guts of my PC except the audio card and
    drives. What all would you get that would total less then
    $300(includes=motherboard(must have 5 PCI slots),CPU,fan,Video card,
    RAM)?

    Here is my Idea:

    Mother board = ECS L7VTA (5 PCI, 8xagp, 3DDR, 333/400fsb) = $55

    CPU = AMD 2500+ (333fsb)= $85

    fan ? = $20
    RAM = 512DDR-2700 (333fsb)= $60

    Video Card = ATI Radeon 9200, 128mb, 8xagp = $70

    total $290

    see any flaws?
    thanks for the advice
    JJ