    their own processors doing the work. I am not looking for state of
    the art video card, just something that will do the job and not cost
    too much. What would you recommend? Thanks

    Sam, Feb 1, 2009

  2. Sam

    Bubble Butt Guest

    I've never used two video cards at the same time but it should work. I have
    one mb that has PCI-E 16x, PCI-E 1X, AGP and PCI. In theory I should be able
    to run 4 separate video cards on that mb at the same time. Matrox makes a
    video card that will work on PCI-E 1X. For simplicities sake I would just
    get your self a new video card with dual output. I recommend Nvidia over ATO
    for this purpose too because their Nview software gives you a lot more
    options for dual monitor setup than ATI does. But I have my 4870 hooked to
    my HDTV because my other PC with Nvidia card is already running dual monitor
    setup. You have two choices to hook up to your HDTV with one video card that
    has dual DVI. Use VGA adapter on second video card DVI connection (all video
    cards with dual DVI give you one of those adapters in the box) or get
    yourself a DVI to HDMI cable. The latter is the method I use and a 15 ft.
    DVI>HDMI cable only cost me $35.00 CAD from NCIX. Try to avoid retail stores
    for this cable because most do not even sell DVI to HDMI cable and do not
    even carry 15 ft. I see Walmart is selling HDMI>HDMI 20ft. for $100.00 CAD
    but then you will need DVI>HDMI adapter too and up here I see them going for
    as high as $50.00 which is a big rip off. ATI 48xx series video cards give
    you one of those in the box. I recommend getting a DVI>HDMI cable online and
    using that method.

    Bubble Butt, Feb 1, 2009

  3. Sam

    Paul Guest

    The board should have been able to interface to a PCI video card.
    But the thing is, PCI has a bandwidth of 133MB/sec, which is pretty
    slow. If you had a big bitmap on the screen to update, it could be
    slow. (I've tested that on a computer here. With a PCI video card,
    a lot of stuff actually works pretty well. What doesn't work well,
    is poorly written software that redraws its window over and over
    again. The window "stutters" as it is moved across the screen.)

    http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERBD/Shared/4006157R/4006157Rnv.shtml

    Now, you do have a nicer slot on the motherboard. The big orange
    connector is PCI Express. That will allow a modern video card
    to be used. If the wiring of the slot is x16, the bandwidth
    is 4000MB/sec, and is much faster than PCI. And it wouldn't
    take too much of a video card, to exceed the performance of
    the 6150.

    PCI Express video cards can range up to a few hundred watts of
    power consumption. The low end cards are under 25 watts. Your
    computer power supply, must have the capacity to provide that
    power. Chances are, a lower end video card will run in there
    without a problem.

    When a PCI Express video card has no auxiliary power connector,
    and gets all its power from that orange slot, the card can draw
    up to about 48 watts. (The standard allows 75W to be
    drawn, but for practical reasons, the engineers seem to limit
    their designs to around that number or maybe a few watts more.)

    You can have a look at a site like this, to get a feeling for
    some potential products to use.

    http://www.gpureview.com/videocards.php

    9400 GT example here. Don't count on the rebate. There is no
    PCI Express auxiliary 2x3 power connector on the end of the
    card, so it is limited to 50W or less.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130389

    Product has two DVI connectors, but comes with two DVI to VGA
    adapter plugs. So you can run two VGA monitors if you want,
    from the faceplate of the video card.

    http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/14-130-389-S05?$S640W$

    More promotional info here.

    http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_geforce_9400gt_us.html

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Feb 1, 2009
  4. * Paul:
    Not really. PCI is fast enough for 2D even on high resolutions.
    Not really. It doesn't matter how often a Window gets "redrawn".
    A "stuttering" window is not a problem of the bus, it's clearly a driver
    problem (i.e. DirectDraw not working properly) or a problem with the
    hardware. Windows also often has problems with hardware acceleration if
    multiple gfx cards using different drivers (i.e. cards with GPUs from
    different manufacturers or different series).

    Benjamin

    Benjamin Gawert, Feb 1, 2009