PC won't start anymore with Athlon 1600+ XP

Discussion in 'AMD Thunderbird' started by me, Feb 8, 2004.

  1. me

    me Guest

    I have an Athlon 1600+ XP in a MSI K7N2 Delta - L motherboard
    Memory is 512mb of PC3200 , Twin Mos,
    Also a Nvidia Geforce 4 5200.

    I had it running fine at 133mhz FSB and then I changed it to 166mhz
    FSB and now the PC won't start anymore :(

    I've tried shorting the cmos battery using the jumper, taking the
    battery out, leaving the power supply unplugged.

    I also tried using the safe mode on the CPU FSB jumper on the
    motherboard.

    All I get is the hard disk and fans coming on, no beeps or keyboard
    lights. The monitor display has a black screen, orange light, it's
    like the monitor is unplugged. The monitor is definitely plugged in
    though

    I've tried a 900mhz Athlon and I can't get that to work in the MB
    either. The 900mhz is pretty picky when it comes to working though. I
    couldn't get this 900mhz to work in another MB I bought a couple of
    years ago either.

    What should I do now? What is likely to go wrong if you bump up the
    FSB from 133 to 166 on a Athlon XP 1600+??

    me, Feb 8, 2004

  2. me

    me Guest

    It seems fixed now.

    I completely removed Jumper 11 which puts into open/100mhz mode.

    I thought Jumpter 10 would have been enough, the manual said J10 puts
    the system into 100mhz safe mode.

    Anyway, when it started up, I switched off, put all the jumpers back,
    switched on again and when into the BIOS. It's working on 133mhz as
    before.

    What settings should I use to overclock the Athlon 1600+ XP CPU?

    me, Feb 8, 2004

  3. me

    R D S Guest

    Did you not learn your lesson when you thought it was broken? :)

    Rick

    R D S, Feb 8, 2004
  4. me

    Wes Newell Guest

    That depends on which 1600+ XP model you have. What's the cpuid?

    Wes Newell, Feb 8, 2004
  5. me

    ~misfit~ Guest

    If that's a Palomino Athlon then you aren't gonna get much more out of it
    and what you get isn't going to be very noticable. Try setting the FSB to
    140 and maybe upping the vcore a notch. Beware though that overclocking can
    cause all sorts of problems and should only be attempted if you have a fair
    knowledge of what you are doing. For instance, at 140MHz FSB the PCI bus
    will be running at 35MHz instead of 33MHz, that should be OK, most devices
    will handle that. You can try going higher but, as the IDE bus runs off the
    PCI bus, going too high can cause data corruption. (Ignore that about PCI
    bus in your case, just Googled your board and see it's an nForce2 board,
    they have locked PCI/AGP busses, independant of FSB) Also raising the MHz
    and vcore will produce more heat so you will have to constantly monitor your
    CPU temp from within Windows (MBM5 is good for that). If you get it running
    at a higher than spec'ed speed, download and run Prime95 in torture-test
    mode preferably overnight, watching the CPU temp closely for the first 15
    minutes or so. If you get any errors you can try raising vcore another
    notch. If you still get errors download and run Memtest86 (it runs from a
    floppy) overnight to see if it's your memory giving errors. Unless you can
    get your system stable with both Memtest and Prime at a reasonable temp back
    off.

    Chances are you're going to need a better HSF than the original AMD one.
    Maybe not, depending on room and case temps and how often you clean the dust
    out of your HSF.

    Overclocking is a combination of art and science, not easilly learned but it
    can be very rewarding. Every overclocker should have MBM5, Memtest86 and
    Prime95. Three essential tools for testing stability and temperature/vcore.
    All freeware thankfully. CPU-Z is also handy later, as is Aida32, also both
    freeware.

    BTW, that's not a GeForce 4 5200, it's a GeForce FX 5200. There's a
    difference. nVidia never made a GF 4 5200, I wish they did.

    As you have an Nforce2 board you have lots of options for overclocking, just
    maybe not with that CPU. Can you change the multipier? Try knocking it back
    a notch and seeing if it boots up at a slower speed. If it does then it
    isn't multiplier-locked and you can run the FSB at 200MHz to take advantage
    of the PC3200 memory and higher bandwidth and use a low multiplier to keep
    your final CPU speed within specs. Try 7x or 8x first, probably with a
    higher-than-standard vcore.

    There is too much involved to cover in one post. I suggest you do some
    Googling and learn a bit more.

    ~misfit~, Feb 9, 2004