    (motherboard is AMD-756 Viper chipset, built for pc100...but if pc133 uses
    more electricity, maybe that's what is locking the board? Like using the
    motherboard's headers for fans...plus I/O)

    Sten, Jun 19, 2004

  2. Sten

    Peder Guest

    Have a look at the capacitors on the board and see if they are swollen or
    leaking. I had several boards that suffered this and created similar
    symptoms. Good luck.

    Peder, Jun 19, 2004

  3. Sten

    Guest Guest

    Look at spec sheets posted at www.micron.com
    It's not, because memory modules consume so little power that they
    never need heatsinks (Heatsinks on modules are only for decorative
    purposes, as opposed to heatsinks on some video memory chips).

    What brand memory chips do your modules have?

    Guest, Jun 19, 2004
  4. Sten

    Sten Guest

    One has Samsung chips, and the other two have a logo which looks like "OC"
    It's Kingston Value Ram...

    Oddly enough, if I'm only running two modules, in any slots, the crash does
    not occur. (I'm testing this now. It's been 30 hours, and all seems well)
    If no crashes occur before Monday, I'll test this theory by re-adding a
    third pc133 module.

    Nick

    Sten, Jun 19, 2004
  5. Sten

    Guest Guest

    Those "OC" chips are probably "B" quality chips or even used chips
    that have had their original markings removed. Real part numbers are
    a long series of digits and letters and will almost always return
    Google search results, at least if you leave off enough characters
    from the end.

    Sometimes with a PC100 system it helps to run PC133 modules with
    faster than normal timing. In other words if the PC133 module is
    rated for CAS3, try it at CAS2 in a PC100 system. You'll have to turn
    off the automatic configuration to make this work, sometimes labelled
    "SPD" (Serial Presense Detect) instead of a number like 2, 2.5, or 3.

    Guest, Jun 20, 2004