PC104 - some questions about the platform

Discussion in 'Embedded' started by Wilfried, Feb 19, 2005.

  1. Wilfried

    Wilfried Guest

    Hi all out there,

    I want to start experimenting with the PC140 platform but I need some info
    first:
    The disk on chip system:
    - Can I use it as a regular disk, meaning like on a "normal" PC,
    startup with a cdrom, format it an write data to it? And this without
    extra HW (Like a FLASH-Programmer)?
    - Can I use my own (...ok the binaries/sources I get from the net)
    Linux(When it is small enough)
    In Linux:
    - Is it enough to mount the filesystem read-only w/o having problems
    when I power-off the system w/o a proper shut down?

    - Any Idea about prices?
    - Just a starters kit
    - But needs a possibility to connect a
    monitor/keyboard/mouse
    And maybe a PCI-device.

    Thank you for reading this article.

    Wilfried, Feb 19, 2005

  2. Wilfried

    Martin Kaul Guest

    Double-Yes...

    M-Sys (the producer of disk-on-chip) provides tools for low-level
    formating the DOC's, i.e. before using DOC you must boot from HD, format
    DOC and put the OS on the DOC - then the HD is no longer need. Some
    distributors may sold pre-formated DOC's...

    For linux you must patch the kernel with the device driver of M-Sys.
    Then you also can use the DOC like a normal HD - booting linux from DOC
    is also possible. Togehter with Busy-Box you can produce a very small
    Linux-platform...

    Til 2 years ago it was not possible to low-level format the DOC direcly
    from linux cause the corresponding tool from M-Sys didn't worked. I
    din't know the current status.

    regards
    Martin

    Martin Kaul, Feb 21, 2005

  3. Wilfried

    MikeD Guest

    You dont even need a harddrive to boot the first time to. I used one
    with a bootable CDROM and formatted the DOC from the prompt. Works just
    like a harddrive.

    Best look on ebay unless you want to spend a few bills. I have an
    sbc-558 and love it. tons of I/O and supports pc104 and pc104 plus. Got
    it on ebay for 20$.

    MikeD, Feb 21, 2005
  4. Wilfried

    Wilfried Guest