PC3200 or PC2700 for Socket A KT400

Discussion in 'Soyo' started by Jacques, Dec 5, 2003.

  1. Jacques

    Jacques Guest

    I recently purchased an Athlon XP 2800+ (Barton core) as an upgrade
    from my current 2100+ and planned to order 2 sticks of PC2700 (DDR333)
    for my SOYO KT-400 Dragon Ultra Black mobo to take advantage of the
    333 FSB on the 2800+. I saw on SOYO's website, that the PC3200 will
    only be recognized as PC2700 if running the FSB at 333, but there is
    no mention of whether the PC3200 will run as PC3200 if you overclock
    beyond the 333 FSB. Anyone know if the PC3200 will recognize as 3200
    if overclocking above 333 FSB? Thanks in advance for responses.

    Jacques

    --------------------
    AMD XP 2800+
    SOYO KT400 Dragon Ultra Mobo
    1GB DDR PC2100 RAM (upgrading to PC2700 or PC3200)
    Win XP Pro SP1
    ATI Radeon 9700 Pro (Omega_2496c drivers)
    SoundBlaster Audigy 2 Gamer
    Klipsch 4.1 THX Certified Speakers

    Jacques, Dec 5, 2003

  2. Jacques

    farmuse Guest

    the KT400 chipset does not officially support PC3200, but it works,
    and should be able to run at speeds higher than 333. I have the same
    board, both black and plat. the plat I run with PC3200 but at 2700
    speeds ie 166 fsb, plenty fast enough for me. if you use 166 or higher
    you can only have two modules installed, and they ask to install in slot
    1 and 3. of the two the black is the more stable ~ but the plat rocks

    farmuse, Dec 5, 2003

  3. If you overclock, it doesn't matter if the system thinks it's PC2700
    or PC3200.

    But if you were thinking of running the memory at 400 instead of 333,
    don't bother. The boards built on the KT-400 chipset run faster with
    their RAM at 333 than at 400. Happens I've got PC3200 in my KT333
    DUB--bought it because Mushkin had such a good special on it that it
    cost me less than equivalent quality PC333 would have.

    (the info on the KT400 chipset vis-a-vis memory speed from a roundup
    done at Tom's Hardware Guide in either late 2002 or early 2003--it's
    findable there either under the mainboards group or the periphs, but
    iirc, it's mainboards)
    --
    -denny-

    Some people are offence kleptomaniacs -- whenever they see
    an offence that isn't nailed down, they take it ;-)
    --David C. Pugh, in alt.callahans

    Denny Wheeler, Dec 5, 2003
  4. Jacques

    Jacques Guest

    Thanks Farmuse. Just changed my order at Tigerdirect to Corsair Value
    Select 512MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz Memory 2-Pack (1024MB Total) instead of
    PC2700.

    Cheers;
    Jacques

    Jacques, Dec 5, 2003