    I know you think iam crazy but you can do 2.7 ghz with pc2700 ram so
    should be able to get some more and thats with 1.6volts.

    Thanks for listening.

    Paul Mathews, Jun 18, 2004

  2. Paul Mathews

    Ben Pope Guest

    With the PCI and AGP locked, you don't have to worry about all your
    peripherals giving you problems.

    The Northbridge, FSB (physically implemented on the motherboard), CPU and
    maybe the RAM and bus are all that are going to hold you back.
    3GHz is not possible. There are limits, ok?

    It takes a finite time to charge the transistors in the chip (since they
    have a capacitance), and therefore you can only switch them so fast. In
    order to charge them quicker, so you can clock them quicker you have to
    increase the voltage, but heat and other factors will stop you doing this.
    You will see very little gain after 2V Vcore, no matter how cold you get it.
    Law of diminishing returns... (other factors come into play).
    Hmm, extrapolating from the Bartons... 200MHz * 15 would be around 4360+
    (3200+/2.2GHz*3GHz).

    Now, you;d also have a faster FSB, 20% faster. If you take a 166MHz Barton
    such as the 2500/1.83 = 1366. and compare that to a Barton with a 20%
    faster bus: 3200/2.2 = 1450. Thats ~6% increase in PR rating for the 20%
    increase in FSB, so I would guess around 4600+ for 240MHz*12.5 = 3GHz.
    Thats all a bit academic though.

    Good luck. Not sure why the RAM has anything to do with the maximum clock
    of the CPU... I would suspect the maximum clock of the CPU has more to do
    with the CPU...

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Jun 19, 2004

  3. [...]

    Ah, just realised, Paul Mathews = We Live for the One we Die for the One

    That could explain things ...

    (*plonk*)

    Michael Brown, Jun 20, 2004
  4. Paul Mathews

    BigBadger Guest

    Ah, just realised, Paul Mathews = We Live for the One we Die for the One

    Well spotted.....That explains everything!!!!...another 'plonk'

    BigBadger, Jun 20, 2004
  5. Paul Mathews

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Yep, same troll, different name.