    Xeromus Guest

    should I hold off on getting an FX5600 ultra? I have a TI4200 now

    and what the hell is pci express?

    Xeromus, Aug 19, 2003

  2. I am...i really considered the new FX5900U, but i heard Doom III was delayed
    till next year. The NV40 should be on sale by then and hopefully cards
    equiped with PCI Express.

    Also factor in the new Socket 775 motherbords and .009 micron chips and SATA
    II.

    All points toward 2004 and a new PC.

    Richard Dower, Aug 19, 2003

  3. Xeromus

    Helion Guest

    Add several months to that before the prices come down, new motherboard, new
    video, SATA2 HDD, CPU, new memory..... (IE new computer) and mainly the
    Windows XP replacement due out in 2005 will be the 1st OS to fully support
    it. LOL. Here is a link that covers it in detail.

    http://www.anandtech.com/systems/showdoc.html?i=1830&p=1

    Helion, Aug 19, 2003
  4. Xeromus

    Gnasher Guest

    It's your money so do as you feel comfortable with. But I wouldn't
    wait til next year to get what I want today just because there is
    something better coming out in the future. There is *always* something
    better coming out in the future. But I would get an OEM Sapphire 9800
    if I was you, much more bang for your buck.

    Gnasher, Aug 19, 2003
  5. Xeromus

    Wanderer Guest

    You mean .09 microns. .009 is a LONG way off.

    Wanderer, Aug 19, 2003
  6. Sorry, .09...be great if we did have .009...alot less heat. :)

    Richard Dower, Aug 19, 2003
  7. Xeromus

    Magnet Boy Guest

    Richard Dower wrote:
    :: ::: On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 00:36:02 +0100, "Richard Dower"
    :::
    ::::
    :::: Also factor in the new Socket 775 motherbords and .009 micron
    :::: chips and SATA II.
    ::::
    :::
    ::: You mean .09 microns. .009 is a LONG way off.
    ::
    :: Sorry, .09...be great if we did have .009...alot less heat. :)

    I don't think 0.009 micron is technically possible, it being smaller than
    the diameter of the smallest known atom and all... I believe 0.06 micron
    (60 nanometer) is as low as technology will go based on physical molecular
    restraints.

    Magnet Boy, Aug 19, 2003
  8. Xeromus

    fball Guest

    Then it will all be obsolete as the life cycle is only one year, so why wait
    for some thing that will be replaced in a years time..

    fball, Aug 19, 2003
  9. Xeromus

    Jeffrey Guest

    Well, a silicon atom is around 10 angstroms wide, which is equivalent
    to 0.0001 microns.

    So 0.009 microns would be approximately 90 silicon atoms wide.

    JK

    Jeffrey, Aug 28, 2003
  10. 1 angstrom is 0.1 nanometers. 1 nanometer is 0.001 micrometers
    (aka microns). So 10 angstroms is 0.001 microns and 0.009 would be 9
    silicon atoms.

    Mario

    Mario Kadastik, Aug 28, 2003