PCI Express x 16 slot for RAID card?

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by Nole Boaday, Aug 1, 2006.

  1. Nole Boaday

    Nole Boaday Guest

    Hello All,

    I'm looking to build a server using the Gigabte GA-M55plus-S3G
    motherboard that
    features on-board video, a PCI-E X 16 slot, and a PCI-E X 1 slot.

    (AMD AM2 - nForce 430 - Based Motherboard)

    http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products...ard&ProductID=2283&ProductName=GA-M55plus-S3G

    I intend to put a PCI-E X8 Hardware RAID card into the PCI-E X16 slot,
    so in theory, it should work.

    I have heard however, with some other motherboards, that the PCI-E X 16
    slot, is really only supposed to be used with graphics card...

    My Question is, has anybody tried using the X16 slot for a non-graphics
    card (especially with a similar nForce chipset and/or motherboard)? Did
    it work? I don't want to build a nice server, only to find out
    the motherboard tries to boot the RAID as if it's a video card :?

    Cheers.

    Nole Boaday, Aug 1, 2006

  2. Nole Boaday

    old man Guest

    Perhaps you'd post a link to this PCI-EX16 raid card?

    old man, Aug 1, 2006

  3. * Nole Boaday:
    Thats nonsense. The PCIe (PCI Express is correctly abbreviated "PCIe"
    not "PCI-E") lanes in a PEG slot (PCI Express Graphics) are no different
    than the ones on other PCIe slots. A PCIe 8x card runs fine in a PEG slot...

    Benjamin

    Benjamin Gawert, Aug 1, 2006
  4. Nole Boaday

    Nole Boaday Guest